Author Topic: radio plays  (Read 121940 times)

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
radio plays
« on: Sep 30, 2021, 03:13 pm »
I am looking into producing a radio/audio play that would be recorded like a podcast and released online. Has anyone done this? I am unclear if this type of work would fall under AEA's jurisdiction. 

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: radio plays
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2021, 10:49 am »
I would check with SAG/AFTRA as well as an AEA Representative. As the saying goes "Call Your Rep"
Ordo ab chao

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2021, 06:30 pm »
Agreed on jurisdiction, always check your rep.

I've mentored a few student projects like this and also supervised an original podcast release. Some tips:
• Make sure your audio team has all the resources.
• Schedule your call times with more time than you think you need. It takes longer, takes always go over, and you can't generally record more than one person effectively without all the right things coming together.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2021, 05:40 pm »
I did a radio play through a LORT company in THE WEEK that SAG-AFTRA and AEA finally decided to talk with each other. They fought over jurisdiction, so definitely contact a union and ask. If it is NEVER connected to an Equity theatre, it could be strictly SAG-AFTRA (or non union). We did ours recording one person at a time, and we sent out sound/mic kits to people who didn't have their own setup. Then my sound designer painstakingly edited it all together with FANTASTIC extra sound effects. I got word last week they are re-releasing it, and I'm getting another chunk of payment as a result. Yay! But if they need to record, and your company is sending equipment, make sure you have a cheat sheet of how the device is run and/or (recommended) a sound person is in the call for setups too. We actually would do one setup the night before or morning of, then call the director into the Zoom when ready. We did Dropbox requests for them to send files, and had a naming protocol too (but also each had their own folder it went to to make it easier on our end. Hopefully yours is something you can simply all grab at once from the sound person being there, or recording Zoom - but remember that Zoom may "clip" voices if two talk at once. Oh, and to do ours one at a time, we had the recorder use a headset/earbuds so that the other person was in their ears, but the mic only picked up their own voice.