Author Topic: Photography at Rehearsal  (Read 6549 times)

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
  • Experience: Professional
Photography at Rehearsal
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 05:06 pm »
Is it not necessary to give 24 hours notice to the cast if a still photographer will be at a rehearsal? Referencing rule 50.D.2.a...LORTD.

Scenario:

Photos will be taken during rehearsal, not at a specific photo call.
No posed shots, only candid.
No costumes, make up or hair.

I've always given 24 hours notice of still photography at a rehearsal, but does the rule mandate you give notice at all times or only when there is a specific still photo call scheduled? You could read it either way and before going to the rep, I'm polling the hive-SM mind to see if anyone has had this question before. This thread is similar.

Thanks for any clarifications.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
Re: Photography at Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 05:30 pm »
Regardless, it's 24 hour notice of photographs. Always. AEA is the same as AGMA in this ruling. They have to know because their faces are going somewhere with these shots. They may want to wear different clothing, put makeup on, do their hair, etc.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:31 pm »
Seconded. Just did this with my last show...had to give 24 hr notice.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:52 pm »
Another thing you have to consider is that these photos are being taken for one reason - publicity. Whether it's being used for print materials for next season, a company blog, whatever. It's all Publicity - which falls under the 24 hour rule. I do this for every show (as there are almost always photographers in my rehearsals), and if your company has a publicist or Marketing Director, they sometimes generate the notice themselves and give it to you to post. You need to list who's taking the photo, when they will be there and what the photos are for.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:30 pm »
I think the rule is pretty clear . . . 24 hours notice.  (it doesn't even have the out of some rules, where it is 24 hours notice if possible . . . )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:37 am »
Thanks everyone; I wholeheartedly agree with you all and have always required and given the 24 hour notice. Some of our admin staff reads the rule otherwise, but I will keep insisting on the proper notice.

realitycheck

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 09:31 pm »
24 hours notice in writing. not a choice. and for further clarification....just taking pictures in the house for your own personal use...which a producer tried to pull. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:10 am »
had a very angry photographer on my last staged reading.

Scenario: we're part of a festival (which will remain nameless) of staged readings. we were told that the photographer would be by "sometime this week" but we'd get our 24 notice...first rehearsal he shows up half way through the day and wants to take pictures. I tell him that we had no notice he was coming and he'll have to come back tomorrow.

Cue angry company manager and photographer ripping me a new one for doing my job. Oy. The actors were grateful that I stepped in, and eventually the photographer came back and we moved on with our lives. I got reamed for observing a rule that isn't stated in writing on the AEA staged readings guidelines....
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

realitycheck

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2009, 11:07 am »
good for you nomie. you did the right thing