Author Topic: Understudy doing only part of a principal's track?  (Read 2645 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Understudy doing only part of a principal's track?
« on: Jul 07, 2013, 11:29 am »
I hear today that one of my principals was up all night with food poisoning.  He tells me he wants to perform today, but isn't up to the physical challenge of running around related to one particular quick change for a non-speaking role.  He normally plays four different characters over the course of the play.  He wants me to call in his understudy for that one bit part, and he'll perform the rest.

Makes sense to me.  My question is, do we do any announcements or signage?  My inclination is not, since the understudy is non-union and the role is a bit part, not even mentioned in the playbill.

What do you all think?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Understudy doing only part of a principal's track?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2013, 12:21 pm »
My gut is no announcement needed - if the role isn't listed in the program.

I would let GM weigh in, they may have a history.

My rule was AEA covered by AEA or  AEA covered by Non-AEA I would do the 2 out of 3 announcement methods.

Major Non-AEA roles covered by whomever I would just do a lobby sign, but no insert or announcement.

Non-AEA covered by Non-AEA usually no notice (unless some wacky reason compelled us to feel it was necessary . . . like, the actor's mom was in the audience, we did it for his parents.)

But all of these were rules set in motion by the producers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

Re: Understudy doing only part of a principal's track?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2013, 12:53 pm »
From my experience, had to do a split track show where the roles (in the playbill) were covered by the swing contracted to cover said roles and various non-speaking bit parts of the two tracks (guy at the bar, camera operator, office worker, etc) were covered a female swing.  The female swing was not announced in any way.
The "not mentioned in the playbill part" is what seals it for me.

riotous