Author Topic: National Touring with Equity  (Read 7438 times)

Darek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
National Touring with Equity
« on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:34 pm »
I'm doing research on National Touring with Equity for a grad class and was wondering if anyone had an sources I could go to. I've been to the AEA website and was able tog et a little info but need much more. I need guidelines for national touring with equity and contract information. Please relpy if you can help.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
Re: National Touring with Equity
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 02:00 pm »
Darek ~

Both the Production Contract and the LORT Contract have sections in the book associated with Touring. Did you find these? Also try writing/emailing/calling the AEA Business Rep in your area that handles these contracts to ask more specific questions.

Best,
VSM
Ordo ab chao

Darek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2006, 03:06 pm »
I did and found a bit of info. I'm looking more for what are the exact repsonsiblities of a stage manager touring and if it differs from stage managing a non-touring show. For example, I know equity stage managers are not allowed to distribute checks but on a touring production would that rule still apply. Things like that. Thanks for the info.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2006, 09:18 pm »
I've never toured as a Stage Manager, only as an Actor.
My advice would be to find an SM with Touring experience, buy them a drink or two, and pick their brain!
Ordo ab chao

Darek

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:21 pm »
Okay, I did find exactly what you were talking about with the Production Contract. It took me a little bit. Still, picking a touring SM's brain could be fun! Thanks for the help.

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2006, 12:31 am »
I have toured under LORT and as far as the paycheck question goes I dint technicaly distrbute them every member is on direct deposit. However, actors had all their mail sent to the company office and once a week the company manager would mail a package to me at a hotel and I would hand out the mail at the next actor call. the mail included their pay stubs but I dont consider that out of character. It was easier and better for me to do that then have them come and get it and safer than mailing them individualy.

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:55 pm »
Hmmm...  I would argue that a direct deposit stub is not the same thing as distributing a paycheck (ie. should you lose the direct deposit stub, the actor still has their money in their bank account - you aren't actually transacting funds, just a receipt - and the actor can contact their bank to verify the payment has been made if needed.) Admittedly, I'm splitting hairs here. 

However, I am in favor of company management doing their own job - I've got enough on my plate.

wilsom6317

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:02 am »
But what if it is a van show. My school we gets a lot of those. Does the Stage Manager calls the next venue, to tell them what the technical aspects are or needs?

Thanks,
Maria

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2006, 01:08 am »
there was no company manager on my tour. She had cancer and had to stay behind. she worked on all her duties from home/ theatre. I have encountered several tours throughout my career that do not tour with company management. It seems to depend on the contract and the company size. we had a group of 12 including td, elex and sound. SO it was small and easily handled.
I agree with the pay stub comment, IF I had been asked to hand out an actual check I would have said no, I don't want that responsibility, a stub is a different matter for me. We set our own limits I guess, and lord knows you could put 5 people in a room to interpret 1 equity rule from the book and get 12 answers and then if you call for clarification you'll get 3 answers.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2006, 01:14 am by prizm »

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2006, 07:42 pm »
that is a good point, I guess I never though of it that way. Perhapse in the future I will ask for individual mail at the hotels or ask the actors if they want stubs on the road or with the avaliability of internet if they can just be held at the theatre untill our return.