Author Topic: MEDIA: Video versus Photo  (Read 3141 times)

tnjudge

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
MEDIA: Video versus Photo
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:01 pm »
Hi all,
I'm having some trouble interpreting an URTA rule regarding photo calls and publicity. The contract states that you may only have one photo call in a week. Would recorded interviews to be used for publicity purposes count as a photo call? I'm not sure since the contract doesn't mention anything about video interviews.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:14 pm by Maribeth »

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MEDIA: Video versus Photo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46 pm »
Well, first answer is call your business rep and see what they have to say, since they will ultimately have the final say anyway if somebody in your cast is unhappy with whatever decisions are made.

Then, I would probably use Rule 60-D as my basis for how to proceed, though that rule seems to be more about recording actual performance footage as opposed to interviews (which is why I say check with your business rep).

This is all based on my own experience with the URTA contract (some years ago now) and looking at the current rulebook on the Equity website, which does say it expired back in February, so you may have some slightly different language in the new contract (if they've finished finalizing it by this point).

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:57 pm »
My understanding has always been interviews aren't considered photo call even if recorded. But as babens said: reps are there for a reason. Use them, and "abuse" them for knowledge and interpretation.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:29 pm »
Also, these roles fall under PR/publicity rather than photo calls and performance taping - let that info lead you - as well as calling the rep

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35 am »
And remember, most publicity events are "voluntary" which means something different to every producer (some read it as your participation in voluntary, some read as participation is voluntary, and it also doesn't count towards your hours for the day or week, or need to be calculated for breaks) - I have been down that path before.

The URTA contract online seems to be vague on the issue on my quick read.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:40 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous