Author Topic: Going Equity 'Young'  (Read 11544 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Going Equity 'Young'
« on: Jul 19, 2011, 10:22 am »
I couldn't find a thread that addressed my specific question, but please let me know if I missed one.

I'm in need of a little perspective from people on the other end of the decision to go AEA 'young', or not. Does anyone have anecdotal information about what happened to them when they went (or decided not to go) union in their early 20s?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Going Equity 'Young'
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:47 pm »
I had just turned 24 when my first AEA contract started. (In fact, Bridget, you were my ASM on that show.) I was a year and a half out of college, and I had spent the first year as an apprentice at a local theatre. That season, I SMed 3 AEA shows, 2 non-AEA shows, PA'ed for 1 show, spent 16 weeks working as a scenic painter, and did 5 other theatre jobs that were not SMing. There were weeks were I was doing 3 of these jobs at the same time. I could still barely afford my apartment and health insurance payments. And (as you probably remember), I didn't have a car- I took the bus/metro everywhere. And I was lucky- I worked enough each season to make my health weeks, and I was working.

Some of those jobs fell into my lap- I ran into a friend of a friend while waiting in the standby ticket line for a preview. She worked at a nearby theatre, and I wrote down my contact info on a scrap of paper. A couple of weeks later, the PM of that theatre called me for an interview and I spent most of the next 2 seasons there. One of the AEA jobs started with me as a non-AEA ASM (since I signed the contract before turning equity), and when the SM had a family emergency, I took over the show and the equity contract.

It took me about 3 years to build up my experience/resume to the point where I could get jobs at some of the theatres that I really wanted to work at. I was able to stop painting, and I didn't have to take as much "other" work besides SMing. I reached a point where, when I was offered some longer-term positions that were in theatre but not stage management, I took them. I tried the 9 to 5 lifestyle on for size (not my favorite), and started aggressively pursuing SM jobs.

Last year, I did not find a lot of employment in the area, so I went out of town for most of the season. (Ironically, as soon as I left town, people starting calling me about work in DC). I got a lot out of my season but really missed being here. This upcoming season is the first since turning AEA that I don't plan on taking on much or any outside work. This is the first year that I have a vacation planned. I have only been able to attend 1 wedding in the last 7 years.

It took this long to really build the relationships that I wanted with theatres in the area. If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to get "in" with some of the larger theatres by PAing there...(There are some places in this area that are much easier to break into at the ground level.) To be an equity stage manager, you have to be willing to make it through the tough first years. Whether you are AEA or not during that time, it's going to be hard. You have to figure out for yourself what the best career path is for you- turning AEA young may work out for you, or it could be to your benefit to make more connections and build more experience as a non-AEA stage manager first.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2011, 04:53 am »
I was 24 as well when I got my card. I went the EMC route and after 2 full years, I had earned my weeks. Granted, I had a regular season long gig as a resident ASM for an AGMA ballet company, but I enjoyed spending my summers at an outdoor Shakespeare Theater.

When the time came for my Production Manager to sign off on my last show's EMC paperwork, of which I had actually gone beyond my 50 weeks by closing, I asked him if he would hire me next season, since I was now AEA. He said he didn't know. I was actually shocked and got very sick to my stomach. I worried that I had messed up my chances to PA at more theaters and possibly ruin my chances for future work, since I had only lived in the Bay Area for 2 years. My name hadn't gotten around enough and I felt I went AEA too soon.

Thankfully, my company did hire me again the following summer, though first as an AEA ASM, then as the AEA SM for a two-part show in rotating rep. My name has somehow gotten to different theaters in the area, through no help of my own. Staff at theaters I've worked for have given my name to other companies, actors that like me give my name to directors (how I got my current gig this week), and people find my resume on a website for theater in the Bay Area (called TBA). I haven't overly promoted myself because of my resident gig (my schedule is never known far enough in advance), and not every theater in my area is doing a summer show when I'm available. The summer of 2009 was the first time I went on Unemployment during the layoff. And to be honest, that was scary. I'm a different case though - I'm married, my husband has a solid job with the government and we use his health insurance. I would prefer to be working, but we aren't living hand to mouth when I'm not in a show.

Going AEA is a big step, and personally, I wish I had waited a few more years before getting my card. I was young, headstrong and wanted to show that I was a professional. But at that point, I had only SM'd one kid's ballet, 8 shows in college and one community theater musical right after high school. All of my time in the Bay had been spent as a PA or ASM. A little more time at a few more theaters, I feel, would've served me better, career/contact-wise, as well as gaining a bit more experience learning from more Stage Managers.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:28 am »
I got my AEA card a few weeks before I turned 26.  I was in the middle of my second year as a PA at a big regional theatre, and was on the day off between two 10 out of 12's for the show in our smaller space, when the production manager called me and offered me the ASM slot in the other space.  She had lost the person slotted for that position at the last minute, and thought I was ready to move up (and she'd figured out how to sub me out of the other show).  I took the opportunity.  I had never earned any EMC points, because the model at the theatre I was working at was that if they were happy with you after you PA'd, you usually got offered an AEA ASM position. 

One of the trickiest times for finding work since I got my card was that first summer.  I got my card in February, right in the middle of hiring for the summer.  That summer I managed to persuade the small new play festival that I had worked at for 4 years to hire me as an AEA Guest Artist. 

For the most part, I have done well in keeping myself booked.  I have established a relationship with a smaller Equity house in Boston in addition to the big regional theatre that I have worked at on and off since college, so between the two of them I have remained reasonably well booked.  I have also branched out working at various theatres around the country, though getting my name out there outside New England is still something I am struggling to do.

I will say that the best thing that happened to my career at the big regional theatre came out of an unfortunate circumstance.  A dear friend of mine was SMing a show there, and was diagnosed with cancer (she is now fully in remission).  I was brought on to sort of tag team the rest of that rehearsal process, allowing her to remain involved to distract herself, but be able to step out when needed for appointments, etc.  We teched the show together, and then she handed it off to me for the run.   I feel like without stepping up to take on this experience (it was a difficult new show with the cast at odds with the playwright), I would have remained on the ASM track at that theatre for a while longer, but instead I started getting offered PSM positions.

Ultimately I am happy with when in my career I got my card.  I was 4 years out of college, and I had a relationship with a large theatre, so I had the experience necessary to continue to find AEA employment.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:07 pm »
I got my card when I was 23 or 24.  I was hired as an ASM for a 100% equity show: automatic card.  I was in an area (San Francisco) where there were many AEA SM jobs, so I felt it was a good move and proved to be so.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:29 pm »
I got my card at 24 as well (that seems to be a trend in this thread).  I interviewed and received a job offer for the summer of 2004 right before going to URTAs in NYC and starting grad school.

I feel that this actually helped me quite a bit in grad school.  I was able to return for a second summer at the theatre where I had received my card and do some Equity work on the side while still in school.  And the department actually finished paying off my dues for me when we did a show under full U/RTA contract during my second year, which I think was their compensation since, under the U/RTA contract, I did not have to be put under contract to SM the show as a full-time student in the department. 

I was also still able to find Equity work for my summer "internship" between my first and second year and my "residency" for my final semester in the summer after my second year with very little problems.  My "internship" summer semester was back at the same theatre where I had gotten my card the year before, and my "residency" summer semester was in St. Louis where one of the two SMs who first encouraged me to apply for the job that I got my card on brought me in to be her Equity ASM.  Sure, there have been times when I wonder if I should have stayed non-Equity and gone back to touring with those companies for a bit longer, but in the long run I've been very happy with my decision and proudly state my Equity membership in every playbill bio that I get.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2011, 10:36 am »
Got my card when I was 23. I had worked for 4 months in an Equity house, earning my points and all that, and was pretty content to get it that way eventually. I ended up moving to NYC, doing a lot of showcases, readings, and "special agreement with Equity" projects, etc until I was "signed in" on an off-bway project. By that point I was really familiar with AEA rules and had a decent amount of credits, so I went ahead with it. I worked with one theater for 2yrs and didn't have a problem. Now it's getting a bit harder to find work, but I'm also really freelancing for the first time so I'm sure that's part of it! I went Equity sooner than I had planned, but I'm glad I did it.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

JessB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2011, 12:18 am »
I, too, went Equity at 24.  I was working at a regional theatre as a stage manager for the intern acting company and was offered an Equity ASM position the following year. So I did not earn EMC points, but just signed an Equity contract.  Then I was offered one of the resident Stage Manager positions which I was employed in for 3 years. (I spent 5 years total at this theatre.)  At the time, it was the right move for me because I understood how the theatre worked, LORT rules and I liked the fact I was doing upwards of 10 shows a year in rotating repwith a resident acting/design/artistic/production staff.  I was working about 50 weeks a year, so continuous health insurance and all that. 

It has been hard since I've left that job because the connections I made at the theatre STAY at the theatre.  Most regional theatres that post on actorsequity or ArtSearch are looking for local stage managers and since I'm more interested in regional theatre than NYC theatre, it's hard to get your foot in the door.

I think it's about the connections you have/are making.  If a theatre is going to offer you an Equity card, but not employment the following season, it might not be worth while.  And what are your stage management goals?  If you want to work on cruise ships or for Cirque, I would wait to get your card. 

I also think it's hard to turn down a Equity card because it's a goal that has just become very attainable, right?  Most stage managers want an Equity card because it is tangible proof you are "good" at your job.

I certainly do not regret my decision to go Equity but getting a job after leaving the regional theatre might have been easier if I had other job experiences where I made more connections.

Hope this helps!!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:13 am »
I think most everyone joins young~

isn't there a statistic out there somewhere about the how most working AEA ASM's are under 35-?

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:07 pm »
I think most everyone joins young~

isn't there a statistic out there somewhere about the how most working AEA ASM's are under 35-?

Didn't used to be the case before companies started handing out Equity SM contracts like lollipops...

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:26 pm »
I would agree, the saturating of the industry, especially with young ASMs with their card is problematic to the industry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:08 pm »
I'm looking over the U of Iowa SM survey results (http://www.smsurvey.info/uploads/6/4/6/6/6466686/2013_smsurvey.pdf), and all the way in page 26 it seems 61% of AEA respondents went equity between 21 and 25, and 23% between 26 and 30. From this discussion, and related ones, I'd assumed early 20s was unusual. The other three surveys online ('11, '09, '06) don't have this question, so I can't compare.

Why do you think this is? Is it a new development (a "saturating of the industry," like Matthew said above me), or do we just not hear from that many early Equity joiners?

I wish I had access to the raw data to see if there are any other trends among the early joiners - area of residence (whether there are more theatres than SMs or the other way around), formal SM education, number of weeks joined...

David_McGraw

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • David J. McGraw
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:15 pm »
Let us know if you would like any cross-referenced questions from the survey report.  For instance, if you compare the age of survey takers with the age at which they joined Equity:

For 151 survey takers in their 30s who are members of Equity
2% joined before turning 21
55% joined at age 21-25
32% joined at age 26-30
11% joined at age 31-40

Whereas for the 71 survey takers in their 50s who are members of Equity
4% joined before turning 21
46% joined at age 21-25
31% joined at age 26-30
11% joined at age 31-40
6% joined at age 41-50
2% joined at age 51-60

Of course, more stage managers in their 30s might join the union in their 40s or 50s.  But we can't claim that stage managers used to join the union at a younger age, at least within this sample of stage managers.
SM-Sim, LLC, Home of
The Stage Manager Survey and STANDBY CUE 101
http://smsurvey.info
http://standbycue101.com

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:32 pm »
I got my card when I was 28 after working non-union for about two and half years.

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:25 pm »
It really comforts me to have read so many threads talking about going Equity. I have been a non-union stage manager in the same city for five years. I got my M.F.A in stage management here and I have worked at most of the major AEA houses as a PA and stage managed for several local theatre companies. I started EMC in 2011 and by the end of March I will have five weeks left in the program. I won't lie, it's a scary thing. Not only wondering if the theatres who enjoy working with you are willing to offer you an Equity contract but also the changes that will come with being union. I have a mixture of LORT, SPT, and TYA contract rules in my head but knowing the rules is not the same as having the opportunity to apply them. I am 29 and will turn the big 3-0 in March with hopefully an AEA card on the horizon. While you can do all the research, make a pros and cons list (because we just love lists don't we) at the end of the day, it's a leap of faith.