Author Topic: Equity SMs: Running LX?  (Read 7362 times)

charcoaldabs

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Equity SMs: Running LX?
« on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:48 am »
Hello SM Network.  Let me first apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I'm a new member.  I'll give the basic new member speech:  I am a high school student with a passion for theatre production/design.  I live in Philly.  I'm not an SM, and I haven't been lurking here.  However, I do have a question that pertains to equity SMs.

I've had some experience in regional theatre here in Philly, and had sorta assumed that what appears to be SOP here was the case in other cities.  However, after conversing with the ME of a regional theatre out west, I see that this is not always the norm.  I know that in at least two regional theaters in Philly the equity SMs also run the light board.  I'm sure this topic must have been debated here before, so I don't want to bring up previously covered topics.  However, I was hoping you equity SMs out there could give me an idea of how common this is.

Thanks,
Charlie

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Equity SMs: Running LX?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:43 am »
Having the Equity SM running a light board is NOT SOP.

In fact, depending on the specific contract, it's a big a no-no.

On the other hand, it can be negotiated for an extra fee.

In fact, right out of grad school I took over a long running show on cabaret contract.  It was a good money.  On top of my regular salary, I was paid, I think, $150.00 more to run the light board (push go), and do up to 3 hours of maintenance on the show.  (Otherwise I can contact an overhire).  I was a sweet gig, and gave me a little extra money.

But it is not the SOP.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:32 pm »
Matthew's right about it not being SOP.  But I do know working on SPT contracts often will result in the SM running the light board.  AEA is ok with it provided you are contracted separately, paid separately, and it doesn't interfere with normal SM duties.  Almost every Showcase and many LOA-NYC contracts will have the SM running the Lightboard as well. 

Currently I'm on a LORT D contract in a small theatre and running the lightboard as well.  I have no maintenance to do and in the end, it is just hitting a Go button.  I don't know if I'd want to do it on large musicals with numerous light cues but it's really not all that hard.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:41 pm »
I ran lights for my very first Equity contract, and haven't done it since.  Though I have had Assistant Stage Managers (and often Equity) assigned to be either lights or sound...I tend to try to swap them to being backstage if at all possible.  But if you're running lights as an Equity member, there's a separate rider to the contract.  I think the hardest thing is if you're also calling cues to someone else, so you have to say GO then hit the button yourself a split-second later so that you two match.

Erin

bradygonsalves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:28 pm »
Hey Charlie,

I agree that it is not SOP. I have, however, done my share of SMing in Philly (probably at the two theaters that you are referring to) and have typically negotiated a separate fee to run the board. They were usually SPT contracts and once it was understood on my end that they wanted me to run the board and they understood that there would be an additional fee it was all good. I did get asked at a LORT house once, but I refused (due to the contract) and they found a separate op for the show.
Member AEA since 1998.
Member Philadelphia Area Liaison Committee 2003-2006.

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:11 pm »
Its an 'extra duty' for SMs in Canada, too - and subject to negotiation and a Rider to do so.

I did it recently (push Go) but made it very clear that was as far as I would go - there needed to be a Tech at hand should the board go squiffy or one of the Macs (moving lights) go on its own personal journey. I got a highly skilled Tech who was responsible for the whole rig and doubled as my followspot op - and was only feet away from me at the board.

And yes, things did happen....
SM'ing since God was a child.

charcoaldabs

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:22 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  You've definitely helped me shed some light on the subject.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:25 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  You've definitely helped me shed some light on the subject.
Charlie, who let you in?
 ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you're learning to go right to the source when you need info.
This is place to be for information about stage management and a few other things.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

charcoaldabs

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:19 pm »
Charlie, who let you in?
 ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad you're learning to go right to the source when you need info.
This is place to be for information about stage management and a few other things.

Phil, the right source?... I don't recall a similar situation where I went to the wrong source.  (Unless you are referring to not using the search feature often enough...  :-\)

Might I inquire as to what the "few other things" are?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:24 pm »
Might I inquire as to what the "few other things" are?
Life and office supplies. :D
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:52 am »
Life and office supplies. :D

Definitely the two most important things!
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2008, 09:56 am by MatthewShiner »
All on the same G.O.