Author Topic: Equity and Checks  (Read 9053 times)

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Equity and Checks
« on: Oct 07, 2010, 05:33 pm »
I have scoured the NEAT contract for Equity and can't find where it says anything about Stage Managers and handing out checks.  Does anyone know where this rule is, or is it just a tradition passed down?

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Equity and Checks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2010, 07:23 pm »
Stage Managers are not to hand out checks! (Unless they are being compensated additional duty as company manager.)

Without looking at the NEAT contract, I think this is a basic principle in Equity contracts.

Update: Ok.  Just looked.  This is specifically prohibited.  Look at 59 (J) (9) (g)  --  page 56 of the version posted online in the Equity library.  I heartily recommend that a stage manager becoming very familiar with the contract(s) they are working under.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010, 07:34 pm by Scott »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2010, 11:51 pm »
And one of the reasons is really to protect stage managers . . . let's say general management drops checks off to you, and one is lost . . . you don't want to be responsible for an actor not being paid.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2010, 04:54 pm »
Thank you for looking, I knew it was in there, but my brain was not kicking in as to what rule it would be under.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2010, 08:52 pm »
I find the PDF versions of the contracts that you can get from the AEA website are very helpful for stuff like this.  Being able to search through the document for specific items is a lot easier on a computer than by flipping through the actual book.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2010, 10:31 pm »
I love the PDF versions, especially since they actually display quite well in the iBooks application on the iPhone and iPad.  I can always have the rulebook on hand without having to have my laptop or a full print-out.

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:12 pm »
I find the PDF versions of the contracts that you can get from the AEA website are very helpful for stuff like this.  Being able to search through the document for specific items is a lot easier on a computer than by flipping through the actual book.

I agree entirely. And working under the NEAT Contract, I can attest that (SMs are prohibited from passing out checks and) that the contract is very confusing with many things separated that should be together. We're always looking things up with the PDF and typing in as many search terms as we can think to make sure we've actually found all the information.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:35 pm »
On the other hand...in this case particularly, the rule was right where you would expect to find it: under the subcategory "Working Conditions for Stage Managers and Assistant Stage Managers" under the main category "Stage Managers and Assistant Stage Managers"

I find the Equity contracts to in general to be very well organized -- and the indexing is generally good.

I would recommend that Stage Managers always look at the clauses identifying their duties when starting a new contract, union or not.

Also a caveat about using the .pdf version of the contract: I used the Equity online library as a research tool in this case but as I recall (at least one point in time) not all the online contracts were current to the most recent versions.  Anyone on council have any insight as to whether this is still true?

Cheers!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2010, 02:47 pm »
I think it varies which contracts are current.

The best thing to do is when you get your packet, compare to it to the online version.  But, a bunch of contracts I have recently worked on have some extensive "not finalize language" changes that were not on the online versions.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

cschott

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: adjunct SM faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2010, 03:30 pm »
Wait - when you say "get your packet" do you mean you still get a hard copy of the contract and packet materials?  I haven't worked an AEA contract in about 10 years (been working in opera on AGMA contracts), and recently I've been under the assumption (with some basis, but I can't remember what the basis is) that the hardcopy packets don't go out anymore.  When I just called the AEA office a few weeks ago to try to get a hardcopy of the LORT contract, they told me that they don't print hard copies anymore and that you have to get them online.  Were they just telling me that because they don't want to send agreement books to people who don't have jobs on those contracts?  Grr.  They could have told me the truth - I would have understood.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2010, 04:03 pm »
I have always gotten a hard copy - so unless this a VERY recent change. 

Regardless, you can discuss with your business rep if the printed copy is indeed the printed out version is the most current version of the contract.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2010, 07:30 pm »
Actually, they have indeed stopped sending out hard copies - other than special circumstances or a new edition - my hard copies are all from older jobs. They are trying to keep the website up-to-date more, as they are sending SMs and Deputies online now.

Unless it's different in NY than other places...

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2010, 07:48 pm »
My last contract, which was Periodic Performance, referencing Off-Broadway, I received a printed out version of the Off-Broadway agreement, along with our rider/LOA.  However, it was not like the old printed out and bound versions in booklet/digest size, but rather a full 8.5x11 standard sheet of paper printout.  I can't remember what I got back in January for my TYA contract.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2010, 09:42 pm »
My TYA which I got last December was a stapled 8.5x11 booklet.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:01 pm »
I have always received a hard copy of any rule book I have requested, although, except for the Production Contract and the LORT books, they are no longer going to be the color-covered bound versions.  For budgetary reasons, I understand, that all hard copies of other contract's rule books, will now be sent in photocopied and stapled format, as already described.  However, if anyone is told there is NO hard copy available, and you really need one, please PM me, and I'll investigate, at least here in the Eastern Region. I believe that any member, SM or actor, should be able to get a hard copy version if they request it!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous