Author Topic: Distribution Actor Notes  (Read 6118 times)

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Distribution Actor Notes
« on: Mar 31, 2008, 06:57 pm »
I’ve read in the SPT and LORT books that individual actor notes (after opening) may not be posted openly on the callboard.  How do we define “individual actor notes?”  Would it be ok for a director to email a set of notes to the entire cast, with a scene by scene listing of notes, some pertaining to more than one actor, but some that apply only to one actor?  I tend to think this would go against the spirit of the rule, and that the director should break out their notes by person  and give them only to the actor they apply to, but maybe there is a loophole here.   Thoughts?       
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Distribution Actor Notes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:15 pm »
A lot of directors now e-mail notes - actors get them long before they come into the theatre.

I think the basis behind actor notes not being on the callboard is two fold.

1) Other actors don't see their notes, without being able to respond to it.
2) Non-actors don't see their notes

I think if a director is going to e-mail notes or put them into an envelope they should be either general / full cast notes and notes for that specific actors OR notes that may effect their performance.  (For example, MAry please strike Jake across the face when you enter - Mary AND Jake should get that note.)

I also want to remind the director that I should get a copy of notes as well, since often even the slightest change of a performance may effect the cue calling.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:07 pm »
Yes, this practice is becoming more and more common.   

I've had actors who love getting notes via e-mail because it gives them plenty of time to digest the notes before the next performance or rehearsal.

And I've had actors who hate the same practice.  They want to do their work at work, get their notes at work, on the clock.  They do not want to spend even one minute opening and reading notes from a director once they are off the clock. They liken it to being phoned at home, after work is done for the day.

What do YOU think?

Discuss!

A lot of directors now e-mail notes - actors get them long before they come into the theatre.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2008, 08:12 am »
The majority of actors that I've worked with prefer it when the director emails the notes so they have time to digest before half hour...though I'm always sure to have a hard copy of those notes at their station when they get to the theater so if they don't want to read the notes on their own time at home they can have them when they are at work.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:36 pm »
I've had actors who love getting notes via e-mail because it gives them plenty of time to digest the notes before the next performance or rehearsal.

And I've had actors who hate the same practice. 
I don’t mind notes being sent by email, as long as hard copy is available at the theater as well, since the actor has the option then of reading the note at home or at work, whatever suits them.

My concern is more about all notes being given to all actors, and whether the Equity rules actually do prohibit this (after opening).  If Kate sees the note about Mary and Jake’s fight when she’s not involved with any of their scenes, is that allowable according to the book, as long as it’s via email and not on the callboard?  If Mary is uncomfortable with Kate seeing her notes (by email), does Mary have Equity backing to complain about it, or is she out of luck since the rules don’t cover email?   
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:13 pm »
I think the issue about posting them public on the callboard is anyone can see them; not just other actors, but crew, the public, the cleaning staff, reporters, anyone who makes it backstage.

Notes given via e-mail are private - it's really no different then actors gathering in the house and the director giving out the notes verbally, right?

If the actress had an issue; I would talk to to the director directly, and see if they can e-mail me the notes, and I could take the time and divide them by the actors.

The rule in the LORT Book is:

(4) Individual Actor notes may not be posted on the call-board, except in a sealed
envelope.

This does not say that all actor notes can not be distributed to all other actors, although we as stage managers understand that usually you want to give individual notes to individual actors.  Reading this rule, it doesn't seem like it would be against the rules to print out notes for everyone and put in individual envelopes.

Again, I think this is one of the rules that many people assume means one thing, but the letter of the law seems to be less restrictive.  I think we all tend to think the call board for in-house communication only, but you would be surprised who stops by and reads the callboard during the day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:58 pm »
Which is one reason I haven't posted a Contact Sheet on a Callboard for years.  You never know...

<snip>
  I think we all tend to think the call board for in-house communication only, but you would be surprised who stops by and reads the callboard during the day.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous