Author Topic: AEA  (Read 4481 times)

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
AEA
« on: Jul 29, 2006, 01:44 pm »
If you aren't a member yet, but you worked on two equity showcases, can you become a member since you worked under an equity showcase contract? How does it work?

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Showcase Code
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2006, 05:14 pm »
The NYC Showcase Code is not a contract, and does not qualify one for membership in AEA, regardless of how many showcase productions you have participated in. 
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2006, 05:16 pm by RuthNY »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2006, 05:23 pm »
Welcome youngthespian!

My understanding of the eligibility criteria is that you may elect to join AEA while working under a "contract" in 2 separate productions. The AEA Showcase Code is simply a "code" and not a "contract" and therein lies the rub. This is, please remember, only my opinion and my advice to you is to go to the Equity website
(http://www.actorsequity.org/membership/howtojoin.asp) to find out from them the specifics of joining. Then, call the office in the city nearest you (I assume you are in the NY area) and they will be happy to help guide you.
Ordo ab chao

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2006, 12:41 pm »
My understanding of the eligibility criteria is that you may elect to join AEA while working under a "contract" in 2 separate productions

My understanding is that you can be join Equity working on any one production under contract, though some contracts specify minimun requirements for the "Stage Manager" position, as opposed to the "Assistant Stage Manager" position.

(I know a number of SMs who got into Equity by being hired as SM on a TYA contract, specifically for TheatreWorks/USA.)

This one of the reasons Off Broadway has become flooded with SMs in recent years -- many producers will hire a newbie ASM and get them their card, knowing that the young stage manager is less likely to be familar with the details and intent of contract as well as less likely to raise a fuss about non-compensated additional duties.

As a tangental note: every year I see postings and/or hear stories about "producers" who offer the reward of EMC (Equity Membership Candidate) points as an inducement for working on Showcase Code productions.  There are NO EMC POINTS FOR SHOWCASE and currently no EMC points available at all Off Broadway.

(Does anyone know if the theatres that operate in NYC under a LORT contract [e.g. Roundabout] are permitted to offer EMC?)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2006, 06:08 pm »
For questions about joining the union, I highly recommend contacting the membership department directly. 

There are lots of ways to "join" the union, and each one is very specific.  Even the most well meaning advice from other SMs can be misleading.  (Early in my career I passed on information that was correct when I joined, not knowing that the rules had changed, and mislead a younger stage manager in complete innoncence.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.