Author Topic: AEA Stage Manager...can they PA on AEA shows?  (Read 6901 times)

Bkstgboy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Center Theatre Group
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Stage Manager...can they PA on AEA shows?
« on: Jul 10, 2008, 02:47 am »
I have a dilemma.  First of all, I am an AEA stage manager and have worked in several Equity contracts.  I was offered a chance to PA on a new musical that is going to run at a LORT house in California before going to Broadway right after.  I believe every union actor/SM will be on the production contract.  I told them I couldn't do it because I'm Equity.  They responded that I could in fact do it and that there is no rule that says I can't take the job.  Now, this show already has a whole AEA SM team in place, so I know that by taking the PA job I am not cheating anyone out of what should be a union position.  And it would be an amazing experience to work on a world premiere musical before hitting Broadway. 

After conferring with other stage managers, I've heard there may be an exception for Broadway shows.  I've heard that I would be breaching my own agreement with Equity.  I've also heard that Equity doesn't care unless they're not getting the money they should from the producers.  There doesn't seem to be an agreement on what sort of path I should take.  Should I take the job?  Would I get in trouble?  Will pigs ever fly?  So many questions!    ???

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: AEA Stage Manager...can they PA on AEA shows?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2008, 08:51 am »
Contact Equity. That's the best way to get answers regarding questions like this.

However, in my understanding, you are fine to take the job.  AEA requires that SMs and Actors only take union SM and Acting jobs.  An actor can take a job as a lighting designer, or a director, or anything else, and be just fine. In the same respect, a SM can take a PA job because it's a different area of theatre (somewhat) and not under control by the union.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008, 02:21 pm »
I think we are split right down the middle on this one...

Some will say that as long as the number of AEA contracts are upheld and you are not taking away a Union job, that it's okay. Some will say that you are never supposed to work without an AEA contract.

I say ~ consider how you may feel when everyone around you is making Production Contract minimums, that's around $2500 for the SM, and you are making $400 a week/no benefits.

It's a tough choice, given all the ramifications. What kind of example does it set for the future at this particular Theatre. They have probably enjoyed similar successes in the past, yes?
Ordo ab chao

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2008, 05:29 pm »
From my experience, most of the PAs on Bway shows are Equity.  Basically, you PA the show as sort of entry-level, building a relationship with either the PSM in hopes of getting an ASM position on one of their future shows or with the producers in the hopes of getting an ASM position on the tour.  The logic of it being that you are not working solely for the stage management department; you are working as an assistant for the entire production and therefore any department can use you and therefore not under AEA jurisdiction...  It's a fine line...
I myself have done it.  How did I feel about making $400 while the everyone else was making production contract (and myself, coming off a show where I was making nearly Prod Contract rates)?  Just fine, because I'd have done it for free...  I learned an incredible amount getting the opportunity to watch the creation of a Bway show, getting to see the way another PSM worked, see another set of paperwork and I was able to make some contacts.  There were times that I was working my butt off, but also a lot of time where I was able to just observe and learn... 

Bkstgboy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Center Theatre Group
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2008, 02:20 am »
So in a twist in events, I was offered a contract on the show because they liked my PA skills during tech and have stayed on the show since.  I guess it was a great move for me.

nmno

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008, 12:44 am »
So in a twist in events, I was offered a contract on the show because they liked my PA skills during tech and have stayed on the show since.  I guess it was a great move for me.

Congrats!  And thanks for the update.

riotous