Author Topic: AEA rulebooks no longer publicly available on website  (Read 11723 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Hello all,

As a bunch of us just found out through the Facebook (unofficial) AEA SM group, the rulebooks are no longer available through the main section of the website. Active members can locate them through the member portal.

PSMs/SMs, be sure to download your copy of your appropriate contract, and pass along to your assistants, marketing folks, costumers, etc., unless you're sure the producer has already passed along the info!

Erin

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: AEA rulebooks no longer publicly available on website
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:29 am »
I would be glad to host copies in the forms database here at SMNet.

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:15 am »
Thanks for the heads up. Was there any rationale given for the change?
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2016, 02:02 pm »
There's only speculation at this point, other than that it was a council-driven decision. Someone (not on council) suggested the decision was made to keep the contracts a little more out of the public (i.e. producers') eye - so producers are only privy to their own contract. It was also discussed that AGMA contracts are behind the member wall.

It should be noted the Special Agreement and Guest Artist contracts (usually done with non-Equity theatres on a "special" basis) are indeed still public right now, likely with powers that be hoping that Equity seems more approachable to theatres that wouldn't normally hire Equity actors.

However, I've found it hard enough to get producers to share the rules within companes (especially on SPTs), so I'll be prepared now to have it ready to email to marketing folks, costumes, etc., let alone my assistant(s). It's actually so much easier now that they're in PDF form than those old books. The "find" feature is my friend.

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:23 am »
Ah, glad to hear the Guest Artist books are still available, as that's what I use most regularly. I'll be sure to download fresh copies for the new year: I also use find a great deal to help find appropriate rules for situations.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:39 pm »
Vernon or Ruth E may have a different memory, but I don't recall this ever coming up at a council meeting. I found out when the question popped up on a FB SM page. But perhaps this is a question we can ask at the next council meeting in January....

RBSchaf94

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Otterbein University
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:58 pm »
Just learned this the hard way - I'm non-eq and am stage managing an AEA Showcase. Was searching for the code and deputy election forms and had to get an equity friend to send them to me... could they be hosted here? As someone who's looking to turn equity I really want to acquaint myself with this and it will be harder to do that without the actual handbooks there.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:39 am »
I'm not an AEA member and therefore can't access them myself. However if they were to appear in my email inbox or a publicly accessible Dropbox folder I would be happy to spread the word.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:38 pm »
At this time it seems like the files are not 100% gone. They removed some navigation links from the public portion of the website. However, if you have the correct URL you can still access the document library and files. Try googling the file you're looking for (for instance, "AEA SPT rulebook" or "AEA deputy packet") and you'll get a direct link straight to the pdf.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2017, 01:43 pm »
So this means that by using the search term site:actorsequity.org/docs/codes filetype:pdf and site:actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks filetype:pdf in Google you can get a reasonably complete index of all codes & rulebooks respectively.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2017, 11:24 pm »
I haven't checked myself, but be aware that word is that those rulebooks which can be found through Google may be outdated. Any rulebooks which have been updated since the move behind the member portal are protected (for instance I saw in one discussion that the Off-Broadway rulebook which can be found through a Google search is the old one and not the new one with the updates from last fall's negotiations).

riotous