Author Topic: AEA breaks during run throughs?  (Read 5840 times)

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
AEA breaks during run throughs?
« on: Sep 23, 2018, 01:41 pm »
Im working with a director who thinks that we don't have to take breaks during run throughs in rehearsal. We are on a SPT 3 contract. I cant find any rule that says that. Our show runs an hour 45 with no intermission and we have AEA actors who never leave the stage. We arent in tech yet so these aren't dress rehearsal runs.
Does anyone know if there is a rule that allows us to not take breaks during runs?
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018, 07:36 pm by Maribeth »

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Re: AEA breaks during run throughs?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2018, 01:55 pm »
Upon first glance of the SPT rulebook, I can find no rule relieving you of the obligation to take breaks. That is NOT to say its not there; I just cant find it. I am familiar though, with that rule in other rulebook. HOWEVER - an hour and 45 minutes running time for any theatrical presentation is a ... mouthful. Perhaps while still in rehearsal, the Director can find an appropriate place to take a very well-deserved break. Technical run-throughs, with all the bells and whistles - IF YOU DON'T STOP, can be run without a break, regardless of the running time. If the run-through is stopped FOR ANY REASIN, IMHO, that constitutes the need for a break.
Ordo ab chao

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: AEA breaks during run throughs?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:43 am »
What Vernon said. Generally speaking, if you are doing a run through with no stops to (for example) get a run time, to piece it together, for the designer run and so forth — things that are necessary before you dive into tech — you can go straight through without stopping and take an extended break after. But as mentioned, once you stop, for whatever reason, then breaks are due.

riotous