Author Topic: Actors Federal Credit Union  (Read 9186 times)

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Actors Federal Credit Union
« on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:02 pm »
Does anyone have an AFCU account? Likes? Dislikes?

I currently have a Wachovia account, the same one I opened when I was 15, but where I work and where I live in NYC are not really near a Wachovia, so I find myself going out of my way or paying a lot of fees.

Someone suggested Chase, but I thought I get some other opinions as well.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009, 09:40 pm by MarcieA »
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
Re: Actors Federal Credit Union
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2009, 05:00 pm »
I use Actors FCU and don't have a problem with it.  If I need cash, I generally just get cash back at a CVS or grocery store or something.  If I've ever needed a larger sum then cash back can give me - you can usually find a sister credit union that you can withdraw the money from (I just called AFCU and they pointed me in the right direction).

You can also deposit checks online now and the money is considered "there" up to $1500 (I think) and all you have to do is mail or bring the checks to them within 7 business days.  Makes my life much easier since I've moved up to CT.

There's no minimum to open and no minimum to keep in the account.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2009, 11:52 am »
I have had an account for years.
I originally opened it to establish credit and secure a loan.
The requirements involved were a little less stringent than a typical bank's lending department.
Served me well...
Ordo ab chao

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2009, 06:16 pm »

There's no minimum to open and no minimum to keep in the account.

Actually this is not exactly true.  You must open and keep a savings account with a minimum of $100.  The checking account has no minimum, but you must open a savings account to open a checking account.

I have been with AFCU for 6+ years now.  It is good if you live in NYC.  All the ATMs at McDonalds are free.

Some important Cons:
-When your ATM/check card expires and they send you a new one, they NEVER update the expiration date in the computer.  So you try to use it and it gets rejected until you figure it out and call the bank.  This has happened to me each time I have gotten a new card.
-Branch locations: there are 2 in NYC.  One at AEA and one at the musicians' union, I believe.  This has never been too serious an issue for me.  But sometimes weeks can go by before I would have a chance to make it to Times Square during banking hours.
-They do not mail you a hard copy of interested earned for taxes.  You need to download it through the website for your records.  (Which I neglected to do for 2007 and the IRS caught me)

Some important Pros:
-low fees compared to other banks.  (99 cents for using another ATM, very reasonable minimum balance)
-the online banking is pretty user friendly.  I have not had much opportunity to use the new BillPay but the old BillPay was pretty simple and very reliable.
-the eMax savings account actually offers you interest!  It is on a tiered scale depending on qualifications you met, but when the stock market is loosing money, it's nice to see my balance grow even if it baby steps.
-I have had many bad experiences with larger banks and I like being a part of a smaller bank/ credit union.  I feel less like a number and more like someone will help me if I need it.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2009, 10:27 am »
Jessie - have you had any problems living overseas with your account? Or traveling? I know your work before leaving for Europe had you outside of NYC for a while.

My only reservation with the account is that it seems nearly all of the ATMs are in McDonald's, an establishment that I have not set foot in for almost 6 years. The smell itself makes me feel a little bit ill, but my anti-McDonald's status obviously has nothing to do with banking. It's to do with McDonald's and their business practices. Hmm. Perhaps the benefits outweigh the smell, and I could hold my breath when I take out cash?  ;)

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2009, 12:30 pm »
Marcie- I have not had real problems living overseas and using my AFCU account.  The online banking is universal.  There was a computer security problem and they had to cancel all ATM/ check cards and re-issue new cards.  This created a small problem as they did not update the expiration date and I got rejected a few times.  But a phone call cleared that up.

Honestly though, I don't use my AFCU account for many transactions here.  I use it for online purchases and credit card bills, but that's about it.  But, I do have a bank account in Belgium (ING) that I use for most things (and where my salary gets deposited so there is more money there than in my AFCU anyway).

I totally plan to keep my AFCU account for the forseeable future.  I can use the online banking to write checks and pay bills that are tied to the USA, which is important.  I was able to have my tax return directly deposited into that account as opposed to trying to figure out how to get it wired to Belgium.

The ATM/ check cards that they issue are Visa which is excepted pretty much everywhere (even more places than my European Maestro card) so it is still worthwhile to have in my wallet.

Even with the cons I pointed out earlier, I have been very satisfied with AFCU.  When I was touring domestically, I did sometimes have to suck it up and pay the ATM fee to withdraw, but mostly I was able to do the cashback option and avoid charges.

Just watch out when they issue you a new card, call and make sure the expiration date they have in the computer is correct and you should be fine.

As for McDonald's ATMs.  McDonald's sucks - hands down.  I never ever eat there.  But they are EVERYWHERE.  There was one across the street from my apartment, near anyplace I ever worked or drank or whatever.  Just hold your breath and run in and run out.  Usually there is no line for the ATM there so you can be in and out quicker than most bank ATMs.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2009, 04:21 pm »
Thank you for all the really helpful info! I think that I am going to go with the AFCU account over Chase.

If you want the $25 refer-a-friend bonus, I'll happily give you the info when I get the account set up next week!