Author Topic: 2007 AEA Council Election  (Read 5078 times)

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
2007 AEA Council Election
« on: Apr 19, 2007, 11:17 pm »
BE ACTIVE IN YOUR UNION

ACTORS’ EQUITY ASSOCIATION

2007 Council Election

VOTE!

To give your vote extra “punch” you can bullet vote.

What is bullet voting?    To bullet vote, only vote for one candidate in a category where several candidates can be selected.  Those votes will carry much more weight and increase the chance of that person being elected.

Who can I vote for?  You can vote for all of the categories on the ballot.  Members in the Eastern region can vote for candidates in the Central and Western regions and vice versa.

VOTE!

This is your chance to have a say in who represents you in Council.

Ballots must be received in New York by June 1st.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: 2007 AEA Council Election
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 11:55 pm »
Fellow AEA Members,

I will second most heartily what Jess W. Speaker says; please, please vote in the current AEA Council Elections.

You can vote either by paper ballot or on the Web.

If you've never voted before, and you think you don't know enough about the issues, read the candidates' statements on AEA's web site, in the current issue of Equity News, or in the mailing with the paper ballot, and find a voice or voices that may echo your own ideas.

Unlike Jess, however, I encourage you to vote for the maximum number of candidates possible in each category, or for as many candidates whose ideas and statements speak to you.  It takes all kinds of experience and many different opinions to populate a successful legislative body, and bullet voting can only deprive us all of the diversity necessary for success.

And, please, encourage all your AEA friends and colleagues to do the same, actors and stage managers alike.  And if I'm preaching to the choir, if you are a regular voter, then find someone who isn't and encourage them.  And then ask them to encourage someone else, and so on.

Just over 6000 of us, out of about 35,000 members in good standing voted in the last elections.  We can do better this year!

Ruth E. Kramer
Eastern Region Stage Manager Councillor

(No, I am NOT on the ballot this year.)

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2007, 11:42 am »
Pick up a committee application from the receptionist on the 15th Floor of 165 W. 46th St.  Fill it out and return it.  You will then, most likely be invited to the committee as an observer with the option to become a member after a short time.

how does one get on the AEA committees (not the council, but the commitees that deal with each specific contract or other issues?)?

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2007, 12:25 am »
I am on the ballot and ask for your vote.

To second Ruth (and third myself I guess) we can do better with voter turn out.  This time as well as the last time I ran for council many of my friends who found out I was nominated said, "Well, I guess I will vote this year!"

Always vote!  Read the statements and make your decisions!  its even easier than voting in national elections, you don't have to go anywhere...  you can vote in your PJ's!!!

If you have any questions for me about my candidacy, please feel free to email me at jspeaker@hotmail.com

Jess W. Speaker, III
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:55 am »
I would heartily agree - - please vote!  Remember that Equity is not a faceless corporation - it is us.  We are the union, the the council and the staff works for the benefit of the members - that is all of us.  No matter if you're happy or unhappy with the decisions the union makes take the time to let your voice be heard.  Find candidates that think the way you do and support them.  Believe me when I say that you can make a difference in the way Equity works and the first step is in voting.  If you do vote and your candidates lose, then get on a committee, you'll be surprised how easy it is - it won't take too much of your time and you can make sure that the things that are important to you get discussed.

Malcolm Ewen
Central Region Stage Manager Councillor
(I'm not on the ballot this year either)

riotous