Author Topic: "Soft" rehearsal schedule and breaks  (Read 2673 times)

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
"Soft" rehearsal schedule and breaks
« on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:37 pm »
I'm working with a Guest Artist for the first time. I've done my homework and read over the AEA manual and looked over the sub-board, and I'm confident with most things (plus the actor himself is really nice, works with my theatre a lot, and is open to talking about things that might not be up to Equity standard), but I have one breaks/scheduling question:

Do I start my break stopwatch at the scheduled call of rehearsal, or when we actually start working? Or when my AEA actor walks in? He's always on time, but a couple of my actors are consistently late (a separate problem we're dealing with) so if rehearsal is supposed to start at 7 they might all make it in by 7:20, warm up, and we'll start working at 7:30. Or something along the lines.

If my actor isn't really "working" and is doing things he could do during the break (chat, text, read...) BUT cannot leave the room so he'll be ready to go as soon as everyone gets in, is he on the clock?

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
Re: "Soft" rehearsal schedule and breaks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:49 pm »
Here's a thread that has covered this subject a little bit:

http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-hardline/on-the-clock/

The general rule I follow with AEA and AGMA is that the first clock of the day starts with the posted call time. Especially in your case, if your actor has to wait 30 minutes after the posted time for a rehearsal to begin...he could've used that 30 minutes elsewhere instead of being on standby. That is paid time.

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:02 am »
I swear I did a search, but I didn't find that post! Thank you for pointing me toward it. I was suspecting I should start the clock from the time he gets in or rehearsal starts, whichever is later.

Lucky I only have one AEA so he's easy to track! I would give the other actors reasonable breaks as well, but I want to make sure I get the Equity actor the breaks he's due.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:07 am »
Lateness and socializing is always a problem. Especially if it's the Director!
But I always start the clock at the call time and usually am a little lenient therefore about the first break.
We break when the rehearsal calls for it, around the 80 minute mark...
Ordo ab chao

riotous