Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 24534 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:35 pm »
I learned today that I shouldn't judge so harshly when I hear a news story that a teacher duct-taped a kids mouth shut. Today I related to her, X's 13 kids!

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #31 on: Jul 22, 2010, 05:01 pm »
Today I learned that my local jurisdiction not only allows women to breastfeed in public--which I already knew--but that they cannot be impeded in any way from doing so--which I didn't. (In fact, my employer could be sued if I so much as suggest [not ask, just suggest, as in "Would you be more comfortable if..."] that a breastfeeding woman step into another room.)

Usually I write off workplace training as a bit of a joke, but every now and then you actually learn something.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2010, 02:20 pm by On_Headset »

sgoldsbo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Rogue Artists Ensemble
  • Affiliations: Rogue Artists Ensemble, UC Irvine
« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:27 am »
That it is a far better strategy to give people alternative choices than tell them "no". It's like saying yes, but you're actually confining them to options you think are viable.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2010, 10:31 pm »
I learned today that I shouldn't judge so harshly when I hear a news story that a teacher duct-taped a kids mouth shut. Today I related to her, X's 13 kids!

As with almost every other situation, I  think gaffe tape would be a better choice.   :)

late_stranger

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:55 pm »
Today I learned the difference between real tech theatre geeks and actors who didn't get cast and decided to do tech.

Real techies see a newly built stage and stand on it, check how level it is, mention how good it smells, trade stories, ask questions about set design, weights, plans, progress, materials... etc.

Fake techies just look unimpressed and ask if they'll have to carry these around. Yes you will, honey, and outdoors in August too.  ;)
Don't be so reverent about reality. It's just a trick, done with mirrors.

kateaclysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 24, 2010, 11:23 am »
I learned today that a great audience is the best part of theater.  We had an audience in the Park last night, that stayed through a Tornado Warning.  They were so excited, and so amazing, and made covering set pieces with tarp in poring rain worth it.  They even cheered when we ran on to stop the show!  I was maybe the best night I'e ever had, and I didn't even mind going home an hour late, soaking wet.

SMfairy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity UK-student member, University of Cumbria
  • Current Gig: SM-The Beggar's Opera & Scenes of Love and Betrayal
« Reply #36 on: Jul 24, 2010, 07:49 pm »
Today was the culmination of a week spent shadowing on a number one tour, where I learned that my desire TO MAKE STAGE MANAGEMENT MY CAREER has been well and truly cemented!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #37 on: Jul 24, 2010, 10:00 pm »
Today I learned that if the heating element on the bottom of the dishwasher falls off of its brackets, it will melt a hole in the bottom of the dishwasher and flood under the cabinets and into the basement...    :(

I guess tomorrow I will learn how much new dishwashers cost!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #38 on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:12 am »
Today I learned that once you crochet something out of furry yarn it is very very hard to unravel again.  (The woes of an obsessive crafter.)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #39 on: Jul 25, 2010, 12:57 pm »
Today, I learned that if you leave a bag of gummy bears in your car for less than an hour, in the Georgia summer sun, they will melt together into a kalidescopic blob, which is nearly impossible to cut into bite-sized pieces, again, by any means found in your average kitchen.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 25, 2010, 03:53 pm »
Today, I learned that if you leave a bag of gummy bears in your car for less than an hour, in the Georgia summer sun, they will melt together into a kalidescopic blob, which is nearly impossible to cut into bite-sized pieces, again, by any means found in your average kitchen.
See, now you've got me thinking... Hrm.

Put them on a clean cutting board (ideally marble, stone, granite or plastic as opposed to wood), and put a sheet of parchment paper (or waxed paper) on top. Go over it several times with a rolling pin until it starts to flatten, then peel off the parchment and, with a pizza wheel, slice it into appropriately-sized chunks.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #41 on: Jul 26, 2010, 06:57 am »

Teeth, teeth would probably work.  I imagine myself curled in a ball in a dark corner somewhere, slowly gnawing my way through a colorful blob of sugary goodness . . .

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #42 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:28 am »

Teeth, teeth would probably work.  I imagine myself curled in a ball in a dark corner somewhere, slowly gnawing my way through a colorful blob of sugary goodness . . .

I am so glad I am not the only person that was thinking that!!

You could probably freeze it and then break it into pieces with a rolling pin or a hammer...
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #43 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:22 pm »
You could probably freeze it and then break it into pieces with a rolling pin or a hammer...

If you freeze it soaked in vodka, it will actually get softer, and boozy. Then you could cut it into pieces and enjoy.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #44 on: Jul 26, 2010, 01:24 pm »

:D  Yup, teeth are what I used!  Except without the dark corner.... and then a lot of hand washing!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"