Author Topic: What about my dog?  (Read 6046 times)

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
What about my dog?
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 am »
I've been thinking about this for awhile now... My husband is an actor, I'm a stage manager, and we have an awesome dog.  If we get summer work (which is the goal), who will take care of our dog?  Can he go with us?

So, do any of you out there have experience taking your dog with you on tour or to summer stock?  Did you have to provide your own housing or did your company manager accommodate for your furry friend?  Is it really feasible to care for a pet while doing summer stock?

Thoughts/suggestions/stories of your travels are welcome!

Thanks,
Ashlee

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
Re: What about my dog?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:14 pm »
Dogs are generally not allowed on tour.  BUT, I've seen it done and it was a big hassle for the actor who had one.  The actor who had one was not allowed to bring it on the tour bus (he would fly when we bussed), but brought it on our company flights (and was responsible for paying for separate fees and checking with all the airlines ahead of time).  Also, the actor had to call all the hotels ahead of time and arrange for the dog, and pay any fees that he incurred because of it.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:18 pm »
I am dealing with this right now - I have two dogs, and one can stay at home with my husband - the other is a little more of a handfull, and my husband can't care for - so he needs to travel with me.

Here is my suggestion - talk to you employer about dog friendly housing.  You need to deal with this at the top.  I am going to Dallas in Dec/Jan/Feb, and we started discussing this from the get-go . . . housing and transportation for the dog.

The flip side, I took a gig in Providence earlier this year, and we thought my husband could care for both dogs . . . which was not true do to a recent injury - we ended up boarding the dogs for six weeks - very expensive, but we knew the dogs were getting the care they needed.

I do know of at least one first class national tour stage managers who travel with their dog - but it does get costly . . . since hotels require extra deposits, and some hotels don't allow pets - so they end up having to get a different hotel.

It's one of the things as parents/dog owners we have to take into consideration - it makes the concept of working on the road a huge challenge. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 03:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Matthew!  Lizz...that sounds like it would not be much fun on tour...yikes, I hadn't considered flying.

While boarding would probably be our last option, I'm leery of leaving our little guy with our parents but know that in a pinch, they would be willing to help out. 

I worked for a show in Vegas and everyone always talked about how we needed a doggie-daycare in the back alley! 

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 pm »
Whatever arrangement you get from your employer:GET IT IN WRITING!!

I had a situation where an actress created a huge slew of issues because she brought her dog after being told the company would not make accommodations. For some reason, this actress thought the company was joking. She refused to budge, so the producers eventually gave in mainly because they were tired of fighting with her. All avoided if dog issues were written into the contract.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 am »
(Matthew, I think I met that SM on Friday -)

Pet issues: I too have had issues with actors bringing pets (cats and dogs) to the theater without asking ahead. It wasn't just cast members who were allergic, but also the people whose homes they stayed in, or hotels where we were being housed, or other long-term repercussions that kinda poisoned the water for we generally more responsible SMs, plus if we SMs bring pets, that (sadly) can be seen as an example of favoritism if the actor is not allowed the same privilege.

And yet, I have a friend on the Wicked tour traveling with his dog, and as above, met an SM who travels w husband and dog - but arranges her own housing to accommodate them.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:43 am »
Interesting, my most recent contract panic/scare was due to my two dogs.  My husband is physically unable to care for the dogs (two small min-pins, but he has a serious medical condition).  So, this second part of a two gig contract has become complicated by the fact I need to bring both dogs.

So, dog friendly housing.

Plus transporting the dogs, but since my departure date is end of December, there is no really safe way to confirm that it will be above 45 degrees for the dogs to fly below (And they are just a wee bit too big to fly int he cabin.)

This means a way way car rental there, and one way back.  Gas. Housing along the way.

The contract became a very sticky thing to discuss - and oddly emotional. 

Luckily, once we got all the options out there . . . since they were going to rent me a car for my time out of town anyway, we just added three days to each side of the contract, and rented the car where I lived.  We took the money that would have been spent on the transportation to the airport, the airline ticket and shipping (this is an AEA contract) - and gave me a 700.00 travel allowance.  (I think I can do it for six hundred, but we shall see.) 

It ended up working with in the theatre's budget and worked for me.

I will end up paying the pet deposit at my apartment, but that seems fair.

Sometimes theaters don't want to negotiate this because, once they do it for one person, they feel like they have to do it for everyone - even if there is no cost difference.

But ask, talk, be passionate about your situation.  (Some company managers are huge dog/cat people.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Kaleigh.Knights

• New to Town
  • And above all, love.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Maine, Alpha Psi Omega, Maine Masque
  • Current Gig: ATD/Master Carp @ New London Barn Playhouse
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:37 pm »
I understand the complications with bringing a dog to summer stock, but what about a rabbit? I have a beautiful 5 month old lop rabbit. Is it realistic to hope to bring him with me? I don't trust anyone in my family to watch him for the entire summer....and if I get into somewhere that has free housing, but in a dormitory, I'm not sure they'll allow him. I don't really know what to expect. I shouldn't include that I have a rabbit in my application and he must come with me, I know that...but should I mention the him before I accept the position?

Thanks for any advice!
To be a good stage manager you need to have the soul of an artist, the mind of a director, the eye of a designer, the joy of being an actor...
and the ability to manage them all.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:37 pm »
I used to have a lop bun. There's no way I would have taken her into the stock housing situations that I've experienced. Just the thought of bunnyproofing stock housing is terrifying to me, let alone ensuring that hay and bunny-safe litter are available and a vet who can handle exotics is in the area. If your employer is providing rental housing, the lease may not permit buns - landlords tend to get very jumpy about them (NPI) if they value their baseboards and molding.

I'd contact your local House Rabbit Society to find a reputable bunnysitter for the summer.

Kaleigh.Knights

• New to Town
  • And above all, love.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Maine, Alpha Psi Omega, Maine Masque
  • Current Gig: ATD/Master Carp @ New London Barn Playhouse
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:09 pm »
I figured that was going to be the case. :( I was hoping I would get a "No, of course you can take him!"

I've sent "feelers" out to a couple people, and posted a Facebook status asking my friends. Hopefully I can find someone knowledgeable that I trust.

Thank you for your quick reply!
To be a good stage manager you need to have the soul of an artist, the mind of a director, the eye of a designer, the joy of being an actor...
and the ability to manage them all.

abryan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2013, 02:12 am »
I've been offered an internship position that provides me with a room in either a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment.  I have a cat, and while I don't have to bring her (my boyfriend adores her), I would be really sad without her.  Has anyone been in this kind of position?  Were you allowed to have your cat?

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:00 pm »
I've been offered an internship position that provides me with a room in either a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment.  I have a cat, and while I don't have to bring her (my boyfriend adores her), I would be really sad without her.  Has anyone been in this kind of position?  Were you allowed to have your cat?

Depending on what type of apartment (on a college campus somewhere, for example), they may have a very strict no pet policy.  If it's not a college setting though, you might ask your company manager about the living situation and see if you can pay a pet deposit.  The flip side of it though, if you don't get to meet your roommates before the summer starts, you run the risk of making enemies really fast if they are allergic or aren't pet people.

As the op for this topic, my situation as changed and I'll be working at home with my pup while my husband is away at a festival.  After much thought, and even checking on extended stay-pet friendly suites, we had decided our pup would stay with family and we'd provide all his food/vet care/etc.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2013, 01:52 pm »

Cat allergies are much more common than dog allergies, and I would hesitate to bring any animal into a situation where you don't know your roommates and their health situations. I have a very severe cat allergy, to the point where it would be a me-or-the-cat scenario, and that's not something you want to deal with on move-in day.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

abryan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2013, 06:19 pm »
Thanks guys!  I think I'm going to put this in the email of questions I'm sending--worded very much like this-- and see if it is okay.  I really don't have to take her at all, as my live-in boyfriend would be happy to keep her, but I'd definitely be sad.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2013, 07:13 pm »
From a hiring perspective, I don't think that wording is very professional to send to a future employer. If your communications up to this point have been this casual, then perhaps it's OK - but I personally wouldn't word it that way.

Simply ask if pets are permitted. You have a cat you would like to bring and want to know if 1)it's allowed and 2) can you have the contact information for your future roommates to find out if they are OK with a cat. Saying that it will make you sad if you can't bring your cat will not endear you to your employer.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but that is how I would react to a future intern asking me that question.