Author Topic: This one goes to Eleven!  (Read 11032 times)

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
  • Experience: Professional
Re: This one goes to Eleven!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:20 pm »
Happy Happy Birthday!

January 2000 I was a HS Sophmore and was about to begin doing props for my first student directed 1-act.  Little did I know I would also end up doing costumes and SMing the show by the time it opened.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:49 am »
Happy Birthday SM Network and thanks Kay and Moderators for all your work.

In Jan 2011 I was the sites manager for The Angel Project directed by Deborah Warner at the Perth International Arts Festival. I should have been issued a skateboard with the job as we had over 50 people in buildings, on roofs, and in building sites all over the CBD - half of them dressed as angels... I lost my voice 3 days before it opened... I discovered Perth has the highest rate of suicide by jumping of any city in Australia when the police tried to arrest some of my angels on a roof on the corner of Hay St mall...

I had been a freelance stage manager for six years! All seems a looooong time ago.
ChaCha

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:34 pm »
Wow, that's amazing.

In January of 2000 I was in the 7th grade, still a year away from my first theatre experience.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

JMagill

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM LPPAC
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:28 pm »
OK wow trying to think back 11 years was a little difficult but this is what I remember

In 2000 I was in the 8th grade and was pretending to learn how to tap in Crazy for You. This was back in the day when I thought that being a performer was the cooler thing to do. It was also the year that i discovered the my technical side.  the stage crew would stay after school to build and paint sets, and then rehearsal would start at like 6.  well one day I decided to just stay after school and see what they were working on and got handed an paint brush and told to get to work. and from that day on I was hooked. it took two more years for me to finally get off stage and solely work back stage but I haven't looked back since (except when I had to act in my college classes)     

And of course Happy Birthday SMNetwork

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:29 pm »
congrats PSMKay - and given how many folks are still in school or were children then, I don't want to go back to where I was in the year 2000......

Dee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Pre-Production Spring Awakening with Nearly Naked Theatre Phoenix AZ
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:44 am »
Happy Birthday!
Jan 2000  I had just left the freezing cold of DC to move to Arizona. My theater experience was limited to a few really cute (read bad) performances in elementary school. I was living with my 2 best friends, Scotty and Jimmy.  They would start a theater company the next year and inform me that I was thier resident stage manager.  I've been hooked ever since.

cschott

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: adjunct SM faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2011, 11:39 pm »
Beginning the second half of my internship at Virginia Opera in Norfolk. I think we had just started rehearsals for Turandot, which is still my favorite opera, directed by the brilliant Darko Tresnjak.

Hey -  we were working together!

Jan 2000 - I came to the VA Opera in the middle of the season to do Rodelinda with Lillian Garrett-Groag.  Met the SM, Reed Fisher and thought I'd hate him.  Turns out he's one of my very best friends!

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:45 pm »
We were? I don't remember too much from Rodelinda except the rake and velour covered set...they had me working everywhere for that one, including security! I definitely remember Lillian, she was quite passionate about the piece.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:53 pm »
congrats PSMKay - and given how many folks are still in school or were children then, I don't want to go back to where I was in the year 2000......

I hear ya. Loud and clear

In 2000 I was stage managing a touring children's production. Me, 5 actors, and a van. (the theatre closed) Later that summer I stage managed a terrible production of Much Ado About Nothing (the theatre since closed). In the fall I stage managed a terrible production out in New Mexico. (the theatre since closed). Despite the show being bad it was the first time I drove across the country. I would then do it three more times.

Congrats SM Network!

riotous