Author Topic: The Turos Test  (Read 2282 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
The Turos Test
« on: Aug 07, 2014, 03:05 pm »
I propose the Turos Test, named for my friend Gwen Turos who originated it:

The least-prepared understudy is the one most likely to perform.

Anybody else experience anecdotal support for the hypothesis?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: The Turos Test
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2014, 03:23 pm »
Oh god, so true. I did a musical that had 3 understudies. All three were hired to be in rehearsal starting the second week. That meant they were there when the scenes were staged, when the choreography was taught, etc etc. They were encouraged to do the choreography "off stage" while we rehearsed, and ask questions if they needed help. They were required to be present for all of tech, and encouraged to run lines, practice choreography, etc.

We had 3 understudy rehearsals- one to learn music (with the music director), one to review choreography (with the dance captain), and one to review any blocking questions and do a full run of the show, with tech. All 3 were unprepared for each of these rehearsals, and barely knew any aspect of their role. We didn't get through the 60 minute run through in the 3 hour rehearsal. I had a serious discussion with them about it. Within a week, 2 of the 3 understudies had to go on, and the 3rd almost had to go on (of course, she was the most prepared of the three). 

Luckily after our discussion, they kicked it into gear and we got through the show. But never have I had a less-prepared group of understudies, and I think they ended up going on for about 6 performances!
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2014, 11:47 pm by Maribeth »

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2014, 08:45 pm »
I had an understudy who KNEW by opening night he would be going on for the last week of the show (about three and a half weeks after opening), due to an actor having to leave early for another commitment.  After the first rehearsal I went to the associate choreographer and told him he would have to be at the next one, because the choreography was in such a mess of a state that I couldn't fix it (we weren't required to have a dance captain on this show).  So we have another rehearsal the next week and the associate is able to fix some of it, but reminded him that he would have to be doing work on his own.  We get to his put-in rehearsal, and it's a mess.  And of course the female understudy, who was also covering three roles in the show, would have been ready to go on in a heartbeat.  Needless to say it was beyond frustrating that somebody who knew well in advance that they would be going on was so totally unprepared.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2014, 07:51 pm »
I can back this rule up with my last show...

Cast of 41, 12 roles were understudied. We spent four rehearsals at 4 hours each putting in each and every actor (except for one, who had continual conflicts)  into each and every track they understudied. Ran things in light, with shoes, onstage, covered music, transitions, costuming questions, etc.

How many times did anyone actually go on in 8.5 weeks? Once. Guess who? Luckily it went fine.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick