Author Topic: The things we give up for theatre  (Read 8910 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
The things we give up for theatre
« on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:17 pm »
I've seen a lot of theatre people on my Facebook feed today talking about how they're missing the Super Bowl due to tech or performance. I'm sure many of us have missed social gatherings and family events because of our work. What's the toughest thing you've had to miss due to theatre?

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Re: The things we give up for theatre
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:22 pm »
As of right now, my son laughing for the first time.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:42 pm »
I've had to miss out on a lot of birthday celebrations, Thanksgivings, Christmases, other holidays, and more.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:55 pm »
My first marriage broke up, partially, due to the hours one puts into this job.
I missed my son's high school graduation, several birthdays.
Weddings, funerals, retirement celebrations.
I miss being with my husband, for months at a time, to go on the road (and often, leaving the puppies behind)
I give up security, long term planning.
Vacations.
Holidays with family.

I know you don't have to give up all of these things, but at some point you have to make tough decisions when you are money driven and trying to keep your career moving forward. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:25 pm »
Many family reunions that always take place during the summer.
My nephews birthdays which I hate to miss.
Time with my partner because of scheduling, travel, and cheap theaters don't give us enough money to afford to have families.
Money from other jobs that I could have had/taken.

And (on a not serious note) I missed the Spice Girls Reunion Concert which I really wanted to freaking go to, but I had stupid rehearsal.
Sadly though it's really all those little things that start to get to you.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:39 pm »
I've given up hours of my life to tedious and repetitive conversations about "Yes, but what do you really do for a living?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:35 pm »
(But also think of those annoying things in life we get out of as well!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:22 pm »
I missed the Northeast Blackout of 2003 because I was on tour in Ireland.  My friends said that stores were giving out free ice cream in NYC!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:31 pm »
Thanksgivings at home, a few weddings, and the most recent one: a big family trip to Disneyland, my baby cousins' first trip.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:58 pm »
Today, the funeral of a dear friend and someone I've done several shows with -

My dad's wife doesn't understand why I can't hand off my responsibilities to some random person and/or just miss work to take care of my dad, who is very old.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:27 pm »
The list of things we give up for theatre is long and varied, and indicated above. 

But remember, we also gave up long term security for the theatre.  How brave is that? (Pat yourself on the back.)

Here's the more important question:  What have you given up for theatre, that you regret giving up? If you had the chance to do it all over again, would you do it the same way?

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:00 am »
The list of things we give up for theatre is long and varied, and indicated above. 

But remember, we also gave up long term security for the theatre.  How brave is that? (Pat yourself on the back.)

Here's the more important question:  What have you given up for theatre, that you regret giving up? If you had the chance to do it all over again, would you do it the same way?

This is a great point. I am on the other side of this coin and I want to give you my perspective. I have a BFA in Stage Management, I had gainful, continuous employment, with health benefits and paid vacation - as a stage manager - and that is what I gave up.

I miss theatre. 
I miss the art; I miss the people.
I miss opening night; I miss "We DID that!".
I miss closing night; I miss "WE did that!".

I don't know if it's getting older and I don't know if it's a sense of duty to myself, my future wife (I hope), or my future children (again, I hope); but I have a leaning towards security.  I suppose this is a weighted risk by which we all measure up to some degree.

Most of my acquaintances don't know the extent of my theatre background. When a conversation shifts to theatre, performance, or art, I often turn heads.

I suppose this is as much an internal dialogue as it is external - my thought, though, is this: trust your instinct.  Trust your intuition.  I've trusted my instincts this far and I'm quite happy.  I miss theatre, but I don't regret leaving it. 

At the end of the day, we're building towards our own future and our goals.  If the ends justify the means, isn't that what matters? 

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:19 pm »

Not to totally be a debbie downer, but I gave up spending time caring for my ailing mother to stay with my show in order to pay the bills and have enough health weeks to qualify for benefits in 2013. By far my biggest regret. We thought we'd have more time, but she passed just five months later. If I could do it again, I would have quit and moved home to be with her.

Consequently, I have taken a very long look at all the things I passed on because of a show and realized that at the end of the day I would rather have gone to that birthday party for my niece than work on a showcase that made me tear my hair out.

It's a hard balance.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:01 am »

I gave up

-Working with people who know my position and realize that keeping me in the loop is extremely important.  I work at a place where I"m the last to know what's going on
-Being a part of the creative process instead of just coordinating it
-Calling a show.
-Opening nights-Sure they can be boring but the last time I really got dressed up was for my wedding
-Having friends at work. Where I work people are friendly, but as soon as 5pm hits they are out the door.

I probably wouldn't have changed what I did because this year I will most likely buy a house. However I think I would try to incorporate more theatre in my life than now. Even going to more shows would be worth it.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:52 pm »
I've given up family vacations, get-togethers with friends, teacher conferences, my son's school performance, countless date nights with my husband...I had to miss my favorite uncle's funeral in California because my back-up was out-of-town that week and there was no one to cover, so I didn't even bring it up.
But I've received job satisfaction that I couldn't ever get anywhere else, knowing that I'm not only doing what I love, but I make a living doing it. Not too many people can say that.
Is it worth it? That answer changes.

riotous