Author Topic: Facebook Settings  (Read 3910 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Facebook Settings
« on: Apr 11, 2011, 03:13 am »
So, I am sure everyone here is just a bit more facebook savvy then me, but here's a little hint.

I would go right now, and change all your Privacy settings to Friends Only.  (Under Account, Privacy Settings.)

Of course, everyone's favorite game to play pre-production is internet the cast - well we were facebooking a new cast member, and I had all this information the rest of the team didn't have - why?  He was a friend of a friend.  Now, I got the drunk pictures, info, everything.

But made me think, in this world of people just being one degree of separation, it might be nice to turn up the privacy, or maybe just step away from facebook entirely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
Re: Facebook Settings
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:43 am »
This is one of the reasons I don't use Facebook. Though I would never put an unattractive/unflattering picture of myself on the Internet, I can't control what photos my friends post and then tag me in.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:22 am »
To the general topic of "Things the Facebook generation doesn't think about until they interview for a job", I'll add: never add your boss as a friend, don't talk about work in your status updates - even generalities aren't general enough - and watch what pictures are posted!

On a side note, always Google yourself every few months, just to see what comes up. Your employer probably does it, and I know every time I'm about to work with someone new, I Google them. It's just that kind of age we live in now. Don't ignore it, take advantage of it.

Matthew - asking some people to step away from Facebook is asking them to stop breathing. Some of them just can't do it.

Jessie_K - you can always un-tag yourself in pictures, but nothing's to say you won't be tagged again.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:38 am »
Jessie_K - you can always un-tag yourself in pictures, but nothing's to say you won't be tagged again.

Funny enough, before reading this I had just finished untagging some potentially unflattering photos of myself.  All in good fun and those who know me understand the context, but strangers might not understand it.

And Dallas - actually, if you untag yourself in a photo you're not able to be tagged again in that same photo, which is nice.

To expand on Matthew's idea of privacy in the workplace, I have my facebook set so that only friends can see basically any details other than my name and main photograph.  I will give facebook credit for responding to some of the privacy concerns that have surfaced in the past couple of years.  The privacy settings are very customizable. 

I am facebook friends with some folks I work with, and I have my profile set so that they may not see status updates, photos posted by others, etc...

One change I'd like to see regarding facebook privacy settings is that it requires you to "opt in" to increase your privacy, rather than "opt out" to decrease it.  That is, your information is public by default.  I'd much prefer it to be private by default with the option to increase who has the ability to see your information.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:10 am »
And Dallas - actually, if you untag yourself in a photo you're not able to be tagged again in that same photo, which is nice.

Very good to know, thanks! And I agree, FB has made great strides in making privacy settings customizable. Too bad most people don't take the time to learn how to use them.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011, 06:51 pm »
I have used facebook as a great tool for SMing. I have seen facebook used to recast a role, and as great advertisement for a show, sometimes sending information or links to cast members it makes sure that they read it. Personally I am not  that paranoid about it but do have my privacy settings up so that certain things are private, but most thigns people can see, cause if you are too private it gets suspicious, but I never talk about work in posts unless it is a good thing. Also I try to make my life facebook approved, not being in bad pictures or even places where bad pictures are taken. It's worked so far, we'll see, my mind might change if I have a bad experience.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"