Author Topic: The Great SM Gift List  (Read 12539 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
The Great SM Gift List
« on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:03 pm »
The gift-giving season is rapidly approaching...anything you're hoping for? Gift ideas for SM friends?

Personally, I'm hoping for an ipad. I'm digitizing my work more and more and think it'd be helpful in the rehearsal room.

I'm knitting many scarves for my friends (I forgot what a great stress-reliever knitting is).

Last year I got a cousin who recently graduated high school and was off to study stage management a great, sturdy messenger bag with many pockets that he said was very useful. :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

ErgoCue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager - New Voices Festival at The Old Globe
Re: The Great SM Gift List
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:44 pm »
I'm hoping for a good, durable bag this Christmas.  I realized the other day that I'm still using the same corduroy backpack I had in college, and while it's lasted a long time, it makes me look like a student.  Fingers crossed!

And I agree on making scarves!  They're easy to make and make a big impression.

If you're looking for a fun and inexpensive gift for a stage manager, check this out: http://www.imprintitems.com/custom/spl/4114896?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=SPLfeed

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:20 am »
I want a small thermos bottle, just big enough to carry a large cup of coffee or tea.  Sometimes a travel mug just won't cut it, because I need to be able to toss my drink of choice into my bag.

Also, for the run of my Christmas show, this year, I want a traditional Santa hat, except with black fur, instead of white.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:40 am »

Personally, I'm hoping for an ipad. I'm digitizing my work more and more and think it'd be helpful in the rehearsal room.

If you get one, you must get the Rehearsal 2 App... it is actually for actors, but I think I would be lost with out it...

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:30 pm »
I'm hoping for a new circular saw (mine broke 2 months ago) and a jig saw (I've always wanted one!).

As far as little gifts to get everyone, I'm still searching, but I would like to do something creative and hand-made like the scarf idea.

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:42 pm »
For an SM-related gift, I'd like the SMAs Paper Props CDs http://www.stagemanagementassociation.co.uk/index.php?menu=376&carry=:7&
I love making paper props, but sometimes when you've spent 3 hours tidying up a 1950s Marmite label on photoshop, it all feels like a bit much ...

I think a lot of my gifts to others this year are going to involve home-made sweets and cakes - I love to cook, and am not working panto this year, so will have a bit of time on my hands in December.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:18 pm »
I'd love a bonus for Christmas!

As for the giving part, I'll be baking this year. Cheesecake locally, apple butter for out-of-state.

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:52 pm »
I'm getting my Christmas wish this year.  Our tour has a layoff that week, and I'll be spending it in St. Johns!!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:51 pm »
On a similar note (perhaps LizzG can advise)- a friend just booked his first tour, starting in Jan. Any gift ideas?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:09 pm »
I just got a Nook Tablet from my parents for my birthday/hanukkah. Well, I guess technically it was pre-ordered. I have recently discovered that I can read on an e-reader on the Subway without getting carsick which is a huge development for me, so I'm really excited. Hopefully I'll get it on Monday or Tuesday.

I wasn't going to get the tablet, I felt like with an iPhone and constantly traveling around with my laptop, I didn't need the extra features, but it was only $50 extra and my parents offered, so who am I to turn down technology?!

In exploring the Nook app store, I noticed that they have a microsoft office compatible program, though it's a little pricey at $14.99. Has anyone played with it? It's gotten mixed reviews.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:49 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread.... I got a really lovely, useful gift recently. My mom designed me a new set of business cards and had them printed. They are great- I didn't even realize how outdated my old ones were (probably 10 years old!) The content was still good but the design refresh was a welcome change!

Something to ask Santa for!

K_Darby

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: North Central College
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:34 pm »
This thread is just a neat way to come up with new ideas for gifts!

I am hoping to get Grab-It Pack Gadget Holster (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c616/). I think it would be quite handy when moving around a rehearsal space.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:31 pm »
I bought myself this . . .

I use it for tech table supplies that have to be carted up and down from the booth

http://www.thecentsableshoppin.com/sears-craftsman-12-tool-tote-9-89-great-christmas-basket-2/

Love it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:40 pm »
http://www.thecentsableshoppin.com/sears-craftsman-12-tool-tote-9-89-great-christmas-basket-2/

Love it.

I have a similar bag.  Very handy.

Hoping for a rolling toolbox this year...my bag has split open from an errant saw blade :/

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:42 pm »
This thread is just a neat way to come up with new ideas for gifts!

I am hoping to get Grab-It Pack Gadget Holster (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c616/). I think it would be quite handy when moving around a rehearsal space.

I've had one for a few years now and use it backstage during tech.  I absolutely love it!  Really handy plus it looks badass.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

riotous