Author Topic: Suffering from what I call "theatredox"  (Read 10333 times)

dancer-sm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Kemp Drama
  • Current Gig: Grease: The musical
  • Experience: High School
Suffering from what I call "theatredox"
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:43 pm »
I am currently experiencing what I call theatredox, which is the feeling of having nothing to do in between shows. Since finishing our musical I have felt like I have absolutely nothing to do since I am not at rehearsals every afternoon. I was wondering what you all do when you finish a show and are waiting for another one to start.

:) dancer-sm

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Suffering from what I call "theatredox"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:53 pm »
Sleep, replenish my kit, see some daylight, cook a meal, wear clothes of a non-black origin. Things I haven't been able to do during the run!

Chris
x

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:08 pm »
I've been in that for a couple weeks! I cleaned out my closet and my apartment, cooked a lot, saw friends (on proper weekend nights!), and took a WEEK to spend time with my family. (Though that was longer than intended....NYC blizzard was trying to tell me something!)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

brdwayluver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 12:22 am »
Going through it right now, unfortunately this time I was actually sick :(  Usually I clean.  My household life tends to acquire a lot of things while I am working on a show.  I clean off my desk, clean my house, try and see my friends and go do something active not theater related.  You need to take the opportunity to reboot your brain and little.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:50 am »
I'm also getting on the cleaning bandwagon, here.  In theory, I have a husband.  In theory, he knows how to do housework.  In theory, he does it when I'm working show+day job.  We all know what happens to theories once they get put into practice!

I also try to catch up on my non-theatre to-dos.  Write my pen-pals, work on a few sewing projects, get some car repairs done and enjoy working one job at 30 hours a week as opposed to two at nearly 80 hours!

Oh, and stop eating in my car.  I eat in my car SO MUCH when I'm on a show, I try not to do it at all when I'm not on a show.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

cserendipity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Prime Stage Theatre
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:26 am »
Laundry... sleep... clean off the DVR/catch up on my favorite tv shows that have not survived the DVR because i've been been out of touch with reality for too long (thanks hulu!)... enjoy home-cooked meals... spend time with my boyfriend, friends, family, and kitty. 

and like tempest_gypsy... relish in the fact that I'm only working one job!

(but if said period of time is rather lengthy... then i'll indulge in some video games... find some fun craft project... see a show i'm not working on... travel somewhere fun... etc.)
If Plan A didn't work... the alphabet has 25 more letters.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:35 pm »
I'm also getting on the cleaning bandwagon, here.  In theory, I have a husband.  In theory, he knows how to do housework.  In theory, he does it when I'm working show+day job.  We all know what happens to theories once they get put into practice!

Good God isn't that true! I tend to get blinders when I'm in production, and he knows this, but still I find that bills haven't been paid on-time, the garbage can is overflowing and the lil' one's toys are everywhere.

masque

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:40 pm »
I'm going through that right now and it's starting to drive me crazy. I'm about to start ripping through the house and cleaning everything. I'm signed up as a substitute teacher at the local elementary school, so that gives me something to do every now and then. Subbing helps, but it can be frustrating at the same time. As a sub I just don't have enough control to make me happy. I've started looking into getting a position on a cruise ship in the entertainment department. I don't feel as if I have enough experience to SM for six months, but a position as an ASM or something similar would be great. I knew I would miss SMing in between shows, but I didn't realize it would be this bad. I find myself spending time making lists of things I want for my next show (office supplies, kit supplies, forms, etc). I had no idea when I started SMing how much I would love it and miss it.

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:34 pm »
I think I was more productive in the first three days after Seussical closed than I had been during the entire run. I read 3 books, watched 15 episodes of TV shows (I'm working on Alias Season 4 and The West Wing Season 2), had four meal dates with friends I hadn't seen enough of, cooked real food, cleaned my house, cleaned out the fridge, did a giant amount of laundry, and slept whenever I felt like it.  It was a great feeling.

That said, I'm excited today to be leaving town because I find I never really take a break unless I get out of town.  As long as I am at home it is far too tempting to volunteer, to see theatre, and to talk theatre with folks.  When i leave town and visit friends or family, the visits are mostly theatre free and a good chance to rest.

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:26 pm »
Definitely clean...and catch up on things I let slide during the show...do what I can to get ready for the next show (community theater - runs are typically 4 days and we put out 8-10 shows a year)...try to see my friends/family who aren't involved in the theater...attend a small group at my church (it's amazing the things that become impossible when you do not have evenings free)...exercise!...find new recipes...and for now, plan my wedding!  :)

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:33 pm »
I'm finally having a little downtime (that I thought I was going to get in October!) and am using it to catch-up on reading, organize my apartment and get back to a regular karate schedule.

So far, I've been impressed with my productivity while still taking a little "me" time!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:07 pm »
I always try to set aside one day where I stay in and do nothing but rest.  I sleep in, keep my phone off, try to stay off the computer, play with the dog, eat whatever's in the fridge, read, watch tv, something to give my brain permission to drift.  Then the next day I'm tired of doing nothing and am ready to be productive - clean, empty the inboxs of my various email accounts, I get started cooking up the pile of recipes that I've gathered, try to see friends.  I call it 'being a person'.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:26 pm »
I call it 'being a person'.

I agree. I read -- my latest choice was the entire Harry Potter series, and now I'm working on Julie Andrews' "Home: A Memoir of My Early Years". (And I recommend it for anyone involved in theatre, especially if you enjoy musical theatre).

As with most, I cook real food, get real sleep, have real conversations (not the usual 'get to the point so I can keep working on this show' conversations), go for real outings with my real friends (not that my theatre friends aren't real friends).
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:29 pm »
I love doing tourist-y things like going to museums or seeing some historical something-or-other, or just checking out local sights.  I've been in unfamiliar cities doing internships for a while now, so going to the National Mall in DC or Sun Studio in Memphis or the local farmer's market in Granville were wonderful distractions during time off.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:37 pm »
I had the 1st significant lay off of my life this summer- 10weeks! I decided that since I had the time I'd travel cross country, both directions... get married, and get my stepson married. I also managed to watch a lot of cable and entirely replant the front facade of my house! So well that we won our town's beautification award! Ah.... I had an awesome lay-off!

riotous