Author Topic: Steering your career . . .  (Read 3703 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Steering your career . . .
« on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:23 pm »
How much really can we steer our career in the direction we want to? 

I know for me, I find myself very typecast (regional theater, classical theater and working well with challenging productions or creative team members), and I am trying to break into a new and different paths for me.  I am frustrated with where my career is currently, and wondering if people had similar stories?  New paths taken?  Good ideas or not?

I am actively trying to pursue non-classical theater shows at this time (although I am not totally closed off, I am trying to get a more diversified resume – musicals, new shows, non-classical theater).  I am also trying to get non-PSM positions on larger shows to show that I can assist.  (I have the odd resume in which I really only have three true ASM experiences in my career.) 

I am frustrated because I really have become type, and I feel like I have hit a growth ceiling – with the jobs I am interviewing for and the jobs I am being offered, and want to, desperately shake it up.  I have a couple of things in the work – for immediate jobs that I feel like could open my resume a bit.

But in the end, is this truly a career you cannot steer?  Should I be satisfied I am working, and just take the next job?  Should I let fate/destiny/luck take control?  How do I keep from just doing the same thing over and over?  (OR, OR . . . should I accept that I am really good at what I do, and have been doing, and be happy with that?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Steering your career . . .
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:18 pm »
I'm sure anyone in any career can ask the same questions. I believe you do have a say. Does that mean you always get what you want or what you put 'out there?' No. But I do believe in that putting it 'out there' or whatever you care to call it can create opportunities. There's something to be said about saying what you want or writing it down - it makes you focus, it steers you to a clear yes or no, it points out chances more clearly.

A couple years ago I felt my resume was lacking in musical experience, so I said that I wanted to work more musicals; I didn't say it to anyone in particular that could help me, but I did say it and think it. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I've managed to work all mainstage musicals this year - five in a row - when under normal circumstances the assignments are more varied. I got what I asked for, but I'm ready to ask for the next thing  ;).

From mumbo jumbo to practicalities - you seem to know where you want to go next and who to reach out to for what you want. I suppose the next step is deciding how much to devote to what you want versus still maintaining what you already know. It sounds like you're taking the needed steps to shake things up. But it does sound like you need to enjoy yourself more - maybe not look so far ahead that you can't enjoy the trip you're on? Dare I say enjoy some lack of control?

I know a few people would hear that you're dissatisfied with your work and think, "If's HE'S not content with HIS career...!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:00 am »
I want to say the following . . .

I know I am very lucky with my career.
I am VERY satisfied with the work.

But, for the first time in my career the past 18 months I have felt very stagnant . . . and I feel very strongly that if you don't continue to learn and grow . . . this job is not worth the pain and agony.

And yes, I know I need to enjoy the journey and the adventures this career offer - and relax to understand that the next step will always be there.

And . . . there is not one straight path to success.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:47 am »
I think part of the control over your path depends on your finances.  Can you afford to say no to the jobs that bore you and wait for a better opportunity to come along?

If you are considering making a major shift- either geographic, genre or job -- you might need to accept lesser paying jobs to open up new paths.

If you can afford to make less (or no money in the case of longer gaps between jobs), you can take control.  Find opportunities to research your new path, network and/or take classes that can help you.  Apply for every job that is along the lines of what you want.

And, of course, tell people what you want.  You never know which of your friends or co-workers has a connection in your chosen city, genre or job.

If you can't afford to not work, then you can be stuck for a while.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:43 am »
I want to say the following . . .

I know I am very lucky with my career.
I am VERY satisfied with the work.

But, for the first time in my career the past 18 months I have felt very stagnant . . . and I feel very strongly that if you don't continue to learn and grow . . . this job is not worth the pain and agony.

And yes, I know I need to enjoy the journey and the adventures this career offer - and relax to understand that the next step will always be there.

And . . . there is not one straight path to success.

Not knowing the details, but it sounds like you are doing all you can to reach the next level.  I believe there is only so much steering one can do in a difficult storm.  Sometimes you have to let go and let the universe guide you.

I understand your frustration. I'm trying to branch out in a different direction.  Waiting for things to happen makes me want to tear my hair out.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:50 pm »
I can understand the frustration.  My career started out and I had a good mix of musicals and straight plays.  But with the exception of a 3 week contract on White Christmas, I haven't been able to get a job on a musical.  Yes, I've been working steadily but the large musical / classical shows could offer challenges to me that I haven't been able to experience lately.

That being said, I have been lucky enough to finally branch into the DC area.  It's a location I'd been trying for years to get into and I can only hope that this job at Arena Stage will open up more opportunities.

And as Jessie mentioned, $ is always an issue.  I'm not in the position where I can afford to sit and wait an indefinite amount of time for an opportunity to finally present itself.  I need to keep working to maintain my lifestyle and that's something I don't feel like giving up on.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 pm »
But in the end, is this truly a career you cannot steer?  Should I be satisfied I am working, and just take the next job?  Should I let fate/destiny/luck take control?  How do I keep from just doing the same thing over and over?  (OR, OR . . . should I accept that I am really good at what I do, and have been doing, and be happy with that?)

While I do find that sometimes fate has more of a say in where our paths lead than we do ourselves, I don't think we ever have to settle.  In all fields we have to make decisions and choices, but for us in theatre it is multiplied to the nth degree. Every few months we question whether we are making the right choice. Pay vs. Name Recognition vs. Location vs. Experience vs. Stability vs. Hours vs. Fulfillment vs. Goals vs. etc etc etc. It can be exhausting. I think you have no reason to  just accept what comes to you, or what you think you deserve or what other people say you should take. My worst experience ("so far") came from taking a position I didn't really want to because I felt I was "supposed" to work there. 

Just from the fact that you asked that last question tells me you are probably not  going to be able to convince yourself you are happy with where you are know, I don't think there is anything wrong with that it gives us a reason to fight and work hard and keep going day by day. For me it feels like every time I climb one rung  I'm looking up to the next, or sideways to that other ladder.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"