Poll

Should SMNet ban all homework and classroom assignments?

Yes
14 (20.6%)
No
54 (79.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: May 17, 2010, 02:32 am

Author Topic: Should SMNetwork ban all classroom assignments?  (Read 7854 times)

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Should SMNetwork ban all classroom assignments?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 04:37 pm »
While I usually agree with Mac on most topics, in this case, I share a different view.   

I am a relatively new member to the forum and while I do not respond often, I do read through posts frequently.   A couple of you have suggested requiring a certain number of posts before being able to start a new thread.    I need to disagree with this philosophy.  The reason I joined SMNetwork in the first place was because I had a question and needed a place to ask it.  I ended up not needing to create a brand new thread, but that ability brought me into the community and got me started. 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:09 pm »
It is not a ban on starting threads or replying though - you reply to a thread or start a topic, the post is submitted but hidden... once a mod has once overed the post, they approve it, it is "un hidden" - (12 hours at the most I would guess).

There are multiple ways it can be handled, and over in Mod Land, we are also having a simultainious discussion about the pro's and con's of all alternatives and the nitty gritty of the implementation - and by extension how we can limit the inconvenience to new members whilst knocking the posts we don't want on the head. What ever solution is decided on over there will have been very thoroughly thought through before implementation.

-Mac
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:25 pm by Mac Calder »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:55 pm »
OK, the poll is now closed and I'll be locking this thread.  Thanks to all for your input.  We will continue to accept student projects, but the methods of doing so will be changing in the near future.  Watch the announcements board for developments as they emerge!

riotous