Author Topic: Smallest Audience Size  (Read 7377 times)

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
Smallest Audience Size
« on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:00 pm »
I'm curious, with another storm here in the Northeast, what's the smallest house size you've performed for?  Our house only seats 195 and before the office closed today our reservations had dropped from 180+ to 50+ and we're expecting even less than that by the start of show time. 

I remember 2 winters ago doing performances for about 20 people when we had major snow storms. 

It's a shame that the weather can affect us this much.  The good thing this theater does is if people have to reschedule, they're not charged again.  Even if they just don't show up, they can call the next day and still change their reservation.  It's one of the things that has kept our subscription rate so high I think.

pyromnt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM- You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
  • Experience: High School
Re: Smallest Audience Size
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:18 pm »
Well at my school, we usually get 200+ per night performance and 50+ for the matinee. One of our shows, Animal Farm, had the matinee the day after school closed. We had literally 15 people in the audience. The director's father was one of them, there were no students......sigh

But, since we decided to no longer have shows the day after school closed, everything has gone well. Storms have shut down performances although for me though.
Standby. And 3..2..1

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2012, 07:31 pm »
We had a 10-person matinee recently (the Sunday before Sandy), and we debated cancelling. However, they were very enthusiastic and appreciative!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:30 pm »
3 in a 99 seat house.

Middle of summer. No storms, no nothing. Just a poorly attended (but critically acclaimed) productions. I've never had a show where no one showed up, but I have a hard time imagining that's worse than a house of 3...

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:49 pm »
Yeah, I did a lot of three people in the audience performances in a LA 99-Seat AEA Waiver Theater - as long as one was an industry comp.

I mean, in the three years I ran the show, maybe 20 of those.

It was sad.

I did have a performance once where NO ONE SHOWED UP.  Box office never released tickets to sell - we showed up, started pre-set.  I was waiting to touch base with house management - and it became apparent - no one else was there.  (This of course is much better then box office calling you and asking where everyone is for an added performance where they never told production.  Sad really.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:03 am »
I was an ASM on a show where 8 people showed up for a matinee. A local critic said the show was one of the worst he has seen and that the artistic director should be fired for allowing this to happen.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:48 am »
9 people in a 200+ seat house. Painful. 

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2012, 02:01 pm »
20 in a 140 seat round...it always looks worse when they're spread out around you.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2012, 06:51 pm »
Wow so many stories. 

MissLiz - I agree that usually even a small house can be very enthusiastic but that only seems typical for us when the houses are small due to the weather.  When shows just aren't as popular among our audiences, smaller sizes almost seem like they're looking for a reason why so few people are there to begin with.

Matthew - Not being told about a performance and also not having a performance sold - that is impressive to come across in a career.  Sad but impressive.

This theater's policy is as long as 1 paid person is in the house, we're having the show.  Seems like the standard after hearing these posts and it makes sense.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:12 pm »
Same as Nick - 3 in a 99 capacity theatre.

However, here's where it differs - we had two walkouts. (It was a show about a girl killing her mother for taking her weed, or something....and there was a huge amount of swearing, racism and violence.)

We finished the show for the single audience member, who came and said thanks for carrying on to everyone afterwards.

C

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:57 pm »
My producer just called me today to say that for the rest of the run (8 more shows) we have "at least 2" tickets sold for each show.

And now that a review has been published in the Washington Post saying the show "fails as theater" (yes, really) I don't expect many walkups. So I'm anticipating several 2 or 3 person audiences.

It's a 6 person cast... but we don't have any AEA contracts....

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:22 pm »
I once worked a rental which basically amounted to a vanity production: this actor (who had moved cross-country) was desperate to break into the big leagues, so he rented the theatre on his own dime and mounted a one-man show.

His cheque cleared, so why not, right?

The week before his performance, he called the box office to see how it was selling.

Nothing. Not a single ticket.

And he was furious. He was under the impression that we would do all of his promotional work for him. (Never mind that he was renting our cheapest black-box space for a single performance--and at the sliding-scale "community and independent arts" rate, at that.) But never mind: he'll rise above our obvious incompetence and arrange for posters himself. Huff huff goodbye huff.

So he shows up for his 7:00 performance at 6:30 and hands his stage manager a stack of posters, instructing her to put them up around the city, then has a hissy fit when she explains that that's neither her job, nor is this the time. But we get over it, he gets changed, and walks into the house to begin.

There are five people in attendance:
- His boyfriend. (Comp.)
- His neighbours.
- His sister and her date. (One comp, one paid.)

But he performs anyway.

I'll withhold commentary on the quality of the performance, but here's the important thing.

They all left at intermission.

Every single one.

Awwwwwwwwwwwkward.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:49 am »
2 audience members for a 2 person show.  The "audience" was asked if they minded coming back to another show.  They were fine with returning another time and that matinee was canceled. (Did I mention the audience was my Mother and Father-in-law?)

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:53 pm »
I once worked a rental which basically amounted to a vanity production: this actor (who had moved cross-country) was desperate to break into the big leagues, so he rented the theatre on his own dime and mounted a one-man show.

His cheque cleared, so why not, right?

The week before his performance, he called the box office to see how it was selling.

Nothing. Not a single ticket.

And he was furious. He was under the impression that we would do all of his promotional work for him. (Never mind that he was renting our cheapest black-box space for a single performance--and at the sliding-scale "community and independent arts" rate, at that.) But never mind: he'll rise above our obvious incompetence and arrange for posters himself. Huff huff goodbye huff.

So he shows up for his 7:00 performance at 6:30 and hands his stage manager a stack of posters, instructing her to put them up around the city, then has a hissy fit when she explains that that's neither her job, nor is this the time. But we get over it, he gets changed, and walks into the house to begin.

There are five people in attendance:
- His boyfriend. (Comp.)
- His neighbours.
- His sister and her date. (One comp, one paid.)

But he performs anyway.

I'll withhold commentary on the quality of the performance, but here's the important thing.

They all left at intermission.

Every single one.

Awwwwwwwwwwwkward.

That's amazing. Did you even do Act II?

Post Merge: Nov 09, 2012, 12:58 pm

I did have a performance once where NO ONE SHOWED UP.  Box office never released tickets to sell - we showed up, started pre-set.  I was waiting to touch base with house management - and it became apparent - no one else was there.  (This of course is much better then box office calling you and asking where everyone is for an added performance where they never told production.  Sad really.)

When I left the theater I was working at for a few years a friend of mine who still worked there called me and told me that Box Office/Administration  failed to inform the cast that there was an evening show following the 2pm Sunday matinee.

The cast consisted of one person, who was about to leave to take a 3 hour train ride to NYC. They had to call him on his way to the train station.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2012, 12:58 pm by DeeCap »

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2012, 02:22 pm »
Nope. The stage manager put it to him as delicately as she could (one of the many conversations I'm grateful I didn't have to initiate--or even share a room with, for that matter), he cried, but he packed up his things and left and the staff went home early that night.

I still have the GM's number. Might be worth calling to see if we gave him a partial refund or something, because now I feel kind of bad.

riotous