Author Topic: Pet Peeve - Mobile Email Signatures  (Read 3213 times)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Pet Peeve - Mobile Email Signatures
« on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:33 am »
Curious if anyone else has encountered this line (or something similar) at the bottom of a mobile email signature: "Sent from my mobile device, please excuse typos or brevity".

The typos - appreciate that, all good there.  But why are people asking me to excuse their brevity?  Brevity should be encouraged, not excused!  If you're filling your emails with superfluous statements that are irrelevant to the statements in your email, then you're wasting everyone's time. 

OK, I feel better now.  Thanks for listening!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Pet Peeve - Mobile Email Signatures
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2015, 08:33 am »
I see it all the time - and I usually appreciate it!

KMC, I'd hazard a guess you don't often work with playwrights during the workshop process...  :o

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2015, 10:15 pm »
I had an actor who tended to Reply-All to daily schedules (until I started BCCing everyone to prevent this) with a "Got It!"  Every time.  Like a human Delivery Confirmation.  Her phone's email signature was a cutesy "Big fingers, small keys. Pardon pesky typos, please."
Of course some of the production staff joked about it from time to time.  Brought to a head when my costume designer sent me an email with the signature "Big fingers, riding the bus, sending from my phone - none of this rhymes."
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:40 pm »
When I had my son, I put a signature that said something about how I was a nursing mother and had probably typed the email with one hand. Then I asked people to excuse my typos and brevity. My point being that while I could usually type a normal few-sentence response to someone's email, while I was nursing I was lucky to get out a few words in the same amount of time. I didn't want people to think I was brushing them off - instead of saying something like, "Okay, thanks for the clarification, that really helps! I appreciate it." I might say, "OK, thanks." I just didn't want to seem rude or dismissive by not bothering to send back more than a 2-word response.
It was also meant to be kind of funny.
But maybe I was just being too worried, I do have a tendency to be more wordy than is perhaps necessary, so maybe my "brevity" is others' standard length... :)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2015, 10:43 pm by TarytheA »
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright