Author Topic: Mini-rant: This Voicemail Box Is Full  (Read 3009 times)

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Mini-rant: This Voicemail Box Is Full
« on: Jul 14, 2014, 11:18 pm »
Just a quick rant here. I can not understand people who don't delete old voicemails and thus let their mailboxes reach the point where you can no longer leave them a message. I've encountered that twice now in the past week when trying to contact people regarding a schedule change and a singer who was late to rehearsal.  Do they not realize that in addition to potentially not getting important information regarding the show they are working on, it could also potentially cost them employment down the line? I know if I was calling somebody to try to set up an interview, for instance, I would probably just move on if I wasn't able to leave a message. Anybody else just get extremely frustrated when they encounter this?

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Mini-rant: This Voicemail Box Is Full
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2014, 11:40 pm »
Some carriers will play that message when service is suspended to save the account holder some embarrassment.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:53 pm »
Some carriers will play that message when service is suspended to save the account holder some embarrassment.
It's also commonly used if the person has voicemail disabled. ("My mailbox is full, so sorry!" is much, much politer than "Hi! You've reached Janice. Please DON'T leave a message. Bye!")

Doesn't address the problems you're teasing out here, though!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2014, 03:42 pm »
I've had this frustration with a subcontractor that I've hired for different jobs.  Honestly, his phone works fine and he has voicemail set up - he just ignores it.  He winds up not getting as many calls for work from me because of the difficulty in communicating.  His loss!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

riotous