Author Topic: MIA Stage Manager - what would you do?  (Read 2452 times)

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
MIA Stage Manager - what would you do?
« on: Aug 03, 2010, 01:40 am »
To be as vague as possible to protect the possibly innocent...

As we all network and chat with other SM's on here, we may make a "virtual" friend, meaning one we may never meet in person, but still can go to for advice, etc. Say your virtual friend is working in a theater that you are about to work in. You want to view their spaces and mention that to your friend, and that perhaps you should contact a member of Production Management to do so. Your new friend says that you don't need to contact Production Management, since they are already in the theater and the theater's spaces - they can coordinate a tour for you, and the other upcoming SM's. They say they will get back to you. Time starts to get close to your starting date, and you never hear back from them.

Then you get your production schedule and you have a question. You don't want to make a fool of yourself in front of the person who just hired you, so you email your new friend again, to ask if this kind of schedule is common at this theater. And they never respond.

What would you do? Is it OK to feel let down that your virtual friend who made promises didn't follow through? Do you let it go, because you're going to get into your rehearsal space eventually, and maybe you can find someone else at the theater to confer over the schedule with? Do you ever confront (in a polite way) this person for dropping the ball?

Just curious as to how some of you may handle this situation...

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: MIA Stage Manager - what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2010, 02:42 am »
I wouldn't bring it up.  Any number of issues could have come up - they may have been passed over for the same gig, they may be ill, they may be swamped with work, they may feel that in giving you the connection that they've done enough. 

Cover your bases and figure out what you need to know through other routes.  Remember the incident in your mental rolodex so you don't wind up in this spot again, but don't dwell on it, and definitely don't complain about it to others on the gig.

If the person in question brings it up, that's another story.  But I'd suggest taking the high road here regardless.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MIA Stage Manager - what would you do?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2010, 10:25 am »
I agree with everything Kay said. That you were in communication with a person who was going to show you around early, that you could talk about schedules with, etc was almost like a bonus. Now do what you'd normally do going into a new job where you don't know anybody.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco