Author Topic: Vacation Suggestions  (Read 7133 times)

SMfairy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity UK-student member, University of Cumbria
  • Current Gig: SM-The Beggar's Opera & Scenes of Love and Betrayal
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Vacation Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2010, 08:23 pm »
Oman is a fantastic place, but I'm biased because I used to live there! There's so much to do, if you want to; dune bashing; wadi bashing; exploring the interior; visiting the Souq at Mutrah is a must; spending a day out on the Indian Ocean on a dhow; diving; snorkelling; or just lazing on a beautiful beach. It's one of the more traditional Arab nations, but it's quite moderate, and the people are some of the friendliest you will ever meet!
If you like snowsports, there's a lovely place in California at Big Bear-it's about 2 hours' drive from LA. It's relatively small and local compared to some other places, but there's two 'resorts'-Bear Mountain and Snow Summit. You can find accommodation in the town or opt to stay in either resort. I also think that a lift pass from one will let you ski/board at the other too. There are some great places to eat locally-a fantastic place for breakfast being The Grizzly Manor Cafe-though be warned, it is a little bit spit and sawdust, but the food is good and hearty to set you up for a full day's skiing!
For something rather novel, I would suggest holidaying in Ireland-I once spent a week in a hired gypsy caravan complete with horse (Susie) traveling around County Wexford (though I suppose December is probably not a good time to do this...).
Hmmm...Japan? Stay in Narita, which is where the international airport is. I'd say it was about 45 minutes out of central Tokyo on the train. You can get on a bus to a temple in the shape of a Buddah, set in beautiful gardens. There's also a wonderful temple in Narita itself-spending New Year there was memorable-the amount of people was incredible! It's also a great base for getting out to see other parts of the country, so I'm told! Oh, and the food! Yum! Go to this little Chilean restaurant called Papa's. Papa and his wife make excellent food. Oh and The Bon which is a tiny tiny place up some windy stairs, and you have to go to The Cage and do karaoke! Be warned-the stairs are practically VERTICAL!
If you're wanting culture and don't mind spending every last penny you have, Venice is lovely in the winter (not smelly at all!).
Hmmm.... I think that'll do for now!
Good luck with picking a destination!

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2010, 11:13 pm »
If you have the money (which can be pretty reasonable), look into a Club Med vacation, especially in Mexico or the Carribeans/Bahamas.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2010, 11:31 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions! All these sound so good...if only I had more time for vacations!

riotous