Author Topic: Weirdest Item In Your Kit  (Read 11836 times)

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Weirdest Item In Your Kit
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:34 pm »
I have a referee's whistle, which came in handy a few shows back, when I had a 20-person cast with 6 teenagers (and a handful of adults with attitudes). I haven't had to use it since then, because since then I haven't worked with such a patience-testing cast... but it's there just in case!

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:22 am »
I keep an old-fashioned tally clicker in my kit. A thousand and one (perhaps up to 9999?) uses, yet nobody seems to carry them any more.

Now I'm curious. What do you use it for?
Aside from the thousands of times I've had to idly count things (the clicker is especially useful when you might get interrupted, need to move around the room, etc. because it keeps you from losing count), I've found it useful as a stress-ball analogue for nerves. (If you can stand the clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick...)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:57 pm »
Glucose tablets. I had one show with a half dozen people with blood sugar issues so if someone started fading they'd pop one until we could get them juice and a snack.

Also, a tiny tub of vaseline, works great for splinters for the jerk who insists on working in socks or barefoot in a rehearsal room.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:14 pm »
I have a small stack of styrofoam cups that have been turned inside out. During choreography or music rehearsals, the faculty director I worked with liked to keep his hands occupied.  One day he turned a cup inside out without breaking it at all. He did it a few more times through the process. I keep them in case anyone wants to try to reverse it.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:22 pm »
Aside from small opening night gifts that never seem to get unpacked from my kit (like a cigar cutter and glow-in-the-dark, ahem, massage oil), I do have an 'egg' filled with Silly Putty. This too glows in the dark and I have slapped it on the occasional 'whackable' corner of a set backstage. Also useful as a 'fidget stone' for those who need it....
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2013, 03:24 pm by Baz »
SM'ing since God was a child.

mnsalz91

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Gianni Schicchi @ Ithaca College
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:51 pm »
Embroidery thread.  I make friendship bracelets during holds in tech.  I like to give them out as gifts, or if it's table work and my attention span is shot I can work on a bracelet and still listen to what is going on.  I've been making them for years, I like to write the show, or names inside them or just very complex patterns.

I had a crack pipe at one point from a production of Bug by Tracy Letts because it was small and glass and I didn't want to lose it.  But I don't have it in there anymore.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 pm »
I keep an old-fashioned tally clicker in my kit. A thousand and one (perhaps up to 9999?) uses, yet nobody seems to carry them any more.

Now I'm curious. What do you use it for?
Aside from the thousands of times I've had to idly count things (the clicker is especially useful when you might get interrupted, need to move around the room, etc. because it keeps you from losing count), I've found it useful as a stress-ball analogue for nerves. (If you can stand the clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick...)

I tend to use the large binder clip as a stress-ball....I'll flip the arms back and forth in one hand while calling a show in the other. Strange way to concentrate.

kcarp_04

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2015, 06:14 pm »
I'm a freshman in highschool. This is stuff I found in the box that was passed on to me for my first show.
- Butterfly knife (Not really sure...)
- Broken lighter (previous show - Fahrenheit 451)
- Exacto knife (no clue)
- Random bolts and other crap (concerning because I have no clue where they should be)

riotous