Author Topic: It's been so long...  (Read 2407 times)

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
It's been so long...
« on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:07 pm »
It's been a long time since I've really been on here.  I went through a lot of personal and professional angst in the past 3 years but it's starting to look up and thought I'd share. 

Some of you may remember I was very excited in the fall of 2008 when I was moving up to Hartford, CT to start at TheaterWorks where I was expecting to be for a few seasons.  As the 1st season was closing with American Buffalo I was told that I wasn't being brought back for the next season (this was in September about 2 weeks before the show closed and about 1.5 months after they had told me I would be back for the next season).  Since I thought I was continuing, I had renewed my apartment lease so now I was stuck in Hartford with an apartment and no job.  The economy had already crashed and finding work (theater or otherwise) wasn't easy.  I experienced my longest period of unemployment from November 2009 until April 2010 when I finally got a job with the U.S. Census Bureau which lasted until July 2010 and paid really well. 

That July, the Production Manager for TheaterWorks called me and asked if I wanted and was willing to come back for the closing show of their 2009-2010 season.  We both understood there was no guarantee of future productions but I had nothing else lined up and despite my being let go suddenly, I actually liked working there so I said yes.  They had brought in a new director, Tazewell Thompson, for the show and he loved me and was doing 2 more shows in the next season so he requested me as the PSM.  This eventually led to me doing all of the 2010-2011 season and as this season comes to a close in 1 week, I've been told (again) that they want me for all of next season.  So it looks like I've come full circle and am back on the track that I was originally intended to begin in 2008. 
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011, 02:43 pm by Scott (formerly Digga) »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: It's been so long...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2011, 03:16 am »
Welcome back! That's quite a tale. Glad you stuck with it and didn't burn your bridges. A lot of SMs would have written off Theaterworks after an experience like that. :)

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2011, 03:11 pm »
Scott - congratulations! I'm so glad you're making TW your home again.

I was there for a few shows in 2009-2010, and it seems the company as a whole has now regained some well-deserved equilibrium. 2010 was definitely a time of change :-)

Well done, and here's to many happy returns!

Meg

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2011, 01:31 pm »
Phew! Glad you're back on the track you wanted.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco