Author Topic: Hurricane Irene and your Company's plans  (Read 9144 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Hurricane Irene and your Company's plans
« on: Aug 25, 2011, 03:40 pm »
So as it has become evident that Hurricane Irene is coming to mess the East Coast up somethin' awful, I was wondering what is happening to your show's performances. I know it's supposed to hit New York on Saturday night right around the time curtain goes up on my show and my producers are talking about postponing or outright canceling and refunding tickets (showcase code, hard to put in an additional performance to make up for it). It should be getting to North Carolina later today and early tomorrow.

Has there been any other talk about canceling shows this weekend?

EDIT: Latest update says that Irene will actually reach New York Sunday morning/afternoon, so instead of affecting Saturday night shows, it's gonna disrupt Sunday matinees instead.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2011, 04:55 pm by nick_tochelli »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hurricane Irene and your Company's plans
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:39 pm »
We are in rehearsal in Boston - Company Management getting flashlights for everyone, and recommending three days of food.

We shall see.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2011, 08:31 pm »
Mayor Bloomberg just told New Yorkers to be prepared for the MTA to be closed down starting Saturday afternoon. MTA only needs sustained winds of 35mph, before they start closing down.

We have playbill coming to review the Saturday evening show  so I think the producers are inclined to push forward in spite of the weather. I'm hoping they will at least purchase flashlights in the event the power fails.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:17 pm »
We are rehearsing two shows here in Charlotte, NC - one is off Sat & Sun, the other is off Fri & Sat, as previously planned. We haven't had a hurricane come this close inland since Hugo, so management hasn't begun any plans as of yet.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2011, 07:39 am »
I'm northwest of Boston and we are only in rehearsal at this point.  Fortunately, or unfortunately for me, I am the only one that has to come from the outside (our housing and RH are in the same building), so I am assuming we will continue as planned.

Yes, we have gotten everybody flashlights and are recommending extra food.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:45 am »
Though I am no longer actively stage managing, living in Miami pretty much necessitates an up to date and extensive hurricane plan.  Irene was staring us down for a while but tracked East.  Nevertheless a good "practice run" of our company's emergency plan.

Distilled down, the main thing you will want to do as an SM is establish clear lines of communication and a clear timeline.  The plan should be clearly communicated to everyone in the company several days prior to the event, and it should be clear who will activate the emergency plan (if necessary) and how they will communicate that.  The nature of stage management is already very agile and well suited to these types of situations. 

Think about how you will communicate with your team and the company after the storm if the internet, cell phones, power are out.  Plan to not have these services for up to 72 hours after a storm.  Obviously during the storm the only goal is to stay safe, however in the event of a severe storm you will likely need to resume daily life at some capacity before modern conveniences are fully restored.

On a personal level, have enough food and water for 72 hours.  Think about what kind of food you will have, how will you cook if power is out?  Canned foods, pre-cooked/frozen portions in a cooler?  Flashlites and batteries for 72 hours (Hah!  If you're a stage manager and don't have this already, maybe consider another career  ;) ).  Have a battery operated radio and enough batteries for a few days, a first aid kit.  In addition to your food and water... booze.  Seriously.  Not much else to do immediately after the storm, have a hurricane party.

Even a category 1 storm is nothing to sneeze at, especially in the Northeast where infrastructure is not built to withstand this type of weather (The thought of peoples' reaction to snow in Miami is terrifying).  Be prepared and stay safe!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:04 pm »
All NYC Fringe shows, and the closing night party, have been canceled for Sunday.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:48 pm »
Governor Cuomo ordered the MTA closed either starting or completed by 12pm Tomorrow (Saturday)....I really don't know how smaller theaters can expect to go on as scheduled right now. Cast, crew and audience are going to have a really hard time getting in to the evening shows, but more importantly there's going to be no public transit once the curtain goes up. So there's no good way to get out of Manhattan.

nmno

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:54 pm »
Governor Cuomo ordered the MTA closed either starting or completed by 12pm Tomorrow (Saturday)....I really don't know how smaller theaters can expect to go on as scheduled right now. Cast, crew and audience are going to have a really hard time getting in to the evening shows, but more importantly there's going to be no public transit once the curtain goes up. So there's no good way to get out of Manhattan.

When we had our blizzard here in Chicago this winter, Equity basically demanded that shows be cancelled/rehearsals cancelled (it didn't come until late, but it did come.)  Chi AEA told me basically those once the government declared state of emergency, including shutting down of public transportation, that was their cue to cancel.  Wonder if NY AEA will play the same card, or if Bway producers are just too powerful.

*Wishing safety to all those on the East...

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2011, 03:05 pm »
We've decided to cancel the 2 shows we have Sunday and are playing Saturday by ear - we're located in N. RI.  People seem to be calling and rescheduling on their own, which saves us the trouble of calling them.

We're also considering the possibility of not being able to perform next Wednesday, given the chance of damage, power outages, etc... We'll have to wait until Monday to evaluate. For now, we're just going to batten down the proverbial hatches and hope for the best!

Anyone have any good storm plans?  I know a good friend who is planning a hurricane party. I know that I'll be sitting at home enjoying the sounds of Irene and a good book...I love a good storm...

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2011, 05:48 pm »
We were due to start tech on Sunday (in Boston), but we are cancelling that day and, with Equity's blessing, rescheduling that day of tech for what was supposed to be our day off on Tuesday (We'll still have Monday tech as previously scheduled, barring more extreme weather).  We are still planning to have our rehearsal tomorrow as scheduled as of now.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2011, 06:50 pm »
Yeah, AEA called my theatre company and said we would be allowed to cancel Sunday rehearsal and schedule Monday rehearsal, on our day off.

Which is odd, because it would mean seven days straight, leading into staging and tech - which I do not think is a good idea.

We shall see where we are at Saturday before we make a decision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2011, 06:59 pm »
AEA allowed us to do that leading into tech at the Guthrie but that's because of the New Years holiday. We took a day off and then worked 7....or maybe even 8 days....hmm...in a row all of which was tech and previews. It was pretty brutal, but do-able.

Though nothing beats that lovely Christmas 13 day stretch in a row followed by the two and a half days off....

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2011, 08:24 pm »
Yeah, AEA called my theatre company and said we would be allowed to cancel Sunday rehearsal and schedule Monday rehearsal, on our day off.

Which is odd, because it would mean seven days straight, leading into staging and tech - which I do not think is a good idea.

We shall see where we are at Saturday before we make a decision.

Ditto here in DC. Hoping we don't cancel Sunday, as we are teching next week/end as well.

riotous