Author Topic: Home Brewing  (Read 2445 times)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Home Brewing
« on: Sep 17, 2012, 08:38 am »
Any other home brewers out there?  My better two thirds bought me a home brewing kit this weekend and I'm quite excited to get started.  The kit is quite nice in that it's geared for smaller living spaces, and perfect for condos/apartments/city dwelling.  Looking forward to making some beer!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Home Brewing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2012, 01:16 pm »
I've done a few kits before--they're easy, generally speaking, and tend to produce a decent brew. Where's your kit from?
Make sure you set aside a good chunk of time for it, of course--can easily take a full afternoon with the sterilizing & boiling, etc. And try to plan ahead so you don't have to bottle things during tech. Beer will always win over Q to Q.
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 01:37 pm »
I haven't tried it but my brother brews his own beer- I get to enjoy it whenever there's a holiday or family get together! It's really easy to shop for him at Christmas- I've gotten him different kits, a book about home brewing, and a leather re-usable six-pack.

Have fun with your kit!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2012, 03:31 pm »
I've done a few kits before--they're easy, generally speaking, and tend to produce a decent brew. Where's your kit from?
Make sure you set aside a good chunk of time for it, of course--can easily take a full afternoon with the sterilizing & boiling, etc. And try to plan ahead so you don't have to bottle things during tech. Beer will always win over Q to Q.

It's a Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gallon kit.  A small batch but it's meant for those of us who live in apartments or condos with limited storage.  The typical 5 gallon batch that home brewers use is a bit too large for my current apartment. 

Regarding the scheduling - yeah I've allocated basically an entire day for the process.  I'll take my time, especially on the first couple of batches.  I've been out of the production side of the industry for ~6 years now so I have weekends free.  Brewing will be this Sunday, bottling on Sunday the 14th :)

And Maribeth - thanks!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2012, 07:04 pm »
I've wanted to start doing this forever! Best of luck and tell us how it turns out!

riotous