Author Topic: Ghostlit  (Read 2388 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Ghostlit
« on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 am »
In the continuing theme of Apps in the world of theater, a former colleague of mine has developed a website and iPhone app called Ghostlit. It's available now on the app store. The entire concept is you can sign up for free (and anonymously if you choose) and you can rate theater's you've worked at. It's actually pretty similar to what we have set up here with the internship tab.

It's no where near to a complete list of theaters, but you are able to suggest theaters to the developers and they can add them. App is not necessary, you can go through the website to do the same thing you can on the app.

Check it out if you feel so inclined: Ghostlit.com and search Ghostlit in the Apple App store. He told me droid is in development right now and should be out soon.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Ghostlit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:58 am »
Sounds interesting - but I suppose, as with many things, it will only become useful after quite a few people have added their thoughts. Can we expand it to the UK/other countries? Happy to add my thoughts.

C

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:42 pm »
I'll ask him if it can expand. Don't see why not....

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:22 am »
This also seems similar to the "Gig and Tell" portion of the Audition Update Website. It is mostly geared towards actors and non-equity summerstock theatres, but a valuable resource nontheless... it filled the void left when NonEquityDeputy just seemed to dissappear from the web.

Have any of you used Gig and Tell or NonEquityDeputy?
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 10:29 am by ejsmith3130 »

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:13 am »
I remember NonEquityDeputy, and not fondly.  It seemed to devolve into a place where the disgruntled came to drop their venom after they felt that they had been slighted in some way or another.  Some of the comments I saw on there were downright ridiculous, including one person who complained about how a company did not tell them ahead of time that they would be taking payroll taxes out of their paycheck.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 pm »
and it ends up being, like a lot of the internet review sites, a pool for negative comments to gather . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 02:28 pm »
Mods and beta testers will remember how difficult it was to create a balanced rating system for internships. With 36 reviews, the average score is 75.72% - an ideal "C" average - and the results all plot along a perfect bell curve. I'm very proud of that. However, the design took me over 30 different iterations and about 2 months of non stop testing with hundreds of different versions of sample data before I found the right system. Not many people have the patience to do that, and most of them don't want to. The point of the internet is no longer the dissemination of accurate information.

Internet marketers will look at the internship project and shake their heads, as truly objective and accurate scoring is very difficult to monetize. It doesn't drive return visits, comments, and website stickiness. Centers of negativity drive people to return over and over again.

riotous