Author Topic: Article: lighting glitch for The Full Monty!  (Read 2871 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Article: lighting glitch for The Full Monty!
« on: Sep 20, 2014, 10:06 pm »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/theatregoers-full-full-monty-after-4271448

I have seen this happen twice now, not counting the article above. How about the rest of you?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: Article: lighting glitch for The Full Monty!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2014, 12:16 pm »
I'm curious as the what the issue was; it doesn't say.
Was the cue called incorrectly? Board op error? Burnt out lights, patched incorrectly, or any other thing that could go wrong?
In the end it doesn't really matter, but I can't help being very curious!
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014, 10:27 am by Tempest »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:37 pm »
Happened to me once in the two-week run I called.  I didn't mess up *the* cue, the board op hit a double-go bringing up the curtain call light before the naked actors had run offstage.  And I had no idea what was happening because I was calling from the wings and the tv monitor switched seamlessly from infrared to visual.

I hear this happens at least once in every single run of Full Monty, these guys were just unlucky because it was press night!
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:50 pm »
It happened during previews once when I was doing the show (ASM).  It turned out to be something got patched/programmed wrong in the board, though the ME tried to say it had something to do with the fact that a piece of the sign (it was the biggest "Full Monty" sign I've seen yet, three large rolling units since the theatre had limited fly space) didn't get plugged in during the shift.  I admit that I gave one of the biggest eye rolls I've ever done and flat out said "So you're telling me that not plugging in part of the sign made front lights come up in the cue?"

I also recall Patrick Wilson talking about the times it would happen during the original run on Broadway.  He said once he could just tell that something was off and locked eyes with some mother and her 15 year old daughter right in the front row as if to say "Sorry, this is going to happen" because even if he knew that the effect was not going to go right he still had to do the staging.

riotous