Author Topic: Funny definitions  (Read 30987 times)

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Funny definitions
« Reply #30 on: Aug 24, 2010, 03:42 pm »
For the Dr. Who fans:

Reverse Tardis effect: The amazing ability of technicians to cram infinite numbers of props, furniture, set dressing, costumes, actors, orchestra members, etc. into infinitesimal amounts of wingspace.  (or, "It looks bigger on the outside than it is on the inside.")

YES!
P.S. bowties are cool...

The Mind Lapse: The feeling upon completion of a task, of not remembering the process of completing said task. Can be a result of mental exhaustion.
Example: Arriving home and not remembering the journey home.
The SM/Techie Evaluation: The thought process an SM/Techie goes through when deciding to purchase a product in order to determine its overall cost efficiency and usefulness.
Examples include: Will it hold everything I need to carry?  When/Where else can I use this? Is it black? etc...

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #31 on: Aug 25, 2010, 11:22 am »
RE: Reverse TARDIS Effect:  I love you, Kay!

Table of Babel: The effect of not understanding what is being said during table work, even though you're pretty sure everyone is speaking English, because it's ephemeral, artistic, conecptual work, and the SM's brain is still engaged in "getting things done" mode.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #32 on: Aug 30, 2010, 11:02 pm »
Glad y'all liked the Whobits.  :)

Margin of promptness: The difference between the time you'll actually need an actor in rehearsal and the time you actually give them to arrive. Increases proportionately for habitually tardy actors and those with very long/operatic warmup needs.

kateaclysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:45 am »
Tape Paralysis - the way you feel sitting, standing, going up and down subway stairs, etc the day after you tape out the floor.

clurston

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #34 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:04 pm »
Convolution Creep: The gradual stacking-up of idiosyncrasies in your rehearsal or performance space. ("...and the lightswitch only works if you press it from the top left, and the booth doesn't have a floor, so we'll need you to wear a harness and be flown into position, and the alarm only works on alternating Tuesdays, and the coms will suddenly drop out if you end a sentence with a preposition...")

Brilliant! I'm so glad I now know the name for this :)

Jill Woodward

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, USITT-SW
  • Current Gig: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - Henderson State University
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:48 am »

Reality panic: Euphoric, manic phase spurred by condensing grocery shopping, laundry, and all other domestic chores into Monday.

Reality panic terrifies my parents and close friends.

Post Merge: Nov 14, 2010, 01:59 am
Supply Euphoria- the excitement you get from stepping into an office supply shop.

:D

My best friend thinks I'm nuts. I have her take my wallet if we've a specific reason to be there.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 01:59 am by Jill Woodward »

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2010, 02:09 am »
Translation: the act of translating "director-speak" to "designer-talk" to "choreographer-lingo" to "actor babble" and having everyone successfully understand what has been decided upon.

Tingles: The rare moment in a rehearsal hall when the elements are right and magic occurs, causing one to sit up a little bit straighter and open ones eyes & ears a little bit wider.  Occurrences of the tingles decrease in direct correlation to number of years in the business.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 pm »
Remount Redux - the sickening feeling of, "Haven't I done this, many times, before?" that begins to occur the third...fourth...fifth time you've done a show
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

cschott

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: adjunct SM faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2010, 10:30 pm »
Managing Syndrome: A syndrome afflicting many SMs, causing them to compulsively manage non-theatre friends, colleagues, family, or pets. The worst cases have been seen attempting to manage random people on the streets, other people's children, and wild animals. There is no known cure for Managing Syndrome.

Oh no.  The worst cases are when you stage manage the "photo call" at your own wedding.  You should have seen my shot list.  And how unhappy I was with the "actors" (family members) who wandered away from the "stage".  Grrr.  And that was 7 1/2 years ago and I still Grr about it :)

late_stranger

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2010, 11:52 pm »
Stage Manager's Nightmare: a dream in which you are stage managing a show and are running extremely late or miss the show entirely.  Other variations may include sitting down in the booth to a blank prompt book, having a prompt book but discovering it's for another show, or trying to call the show when the actors are performing it in a different language.

I had a nightmare just after the close of my last show.... it was awful. The show is about actors, and there's a scene where the three huge divas perform the same scene to illustrate their style differences. In my dream, I was up in the booth with my director (he's usually there because I'm in high school and all), and the actors playing the divas were having a competition after the show. My director was screaming at me "You're not done with your cues, you're not done with your cues" and I was trying to tell him that no, this was real life, but I had an idea that it was a dream, so I wasn't confident in that statement. It was awful.
Don't be so reverent about reality. It's just a trick, done with mirrors.

Dee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Pre-Production Spring Awakening with Nearly Naked Theatre Phoenix AZ
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2010, 11:00 am »
Impromptu pinata: an overfull three-hole punch.

LMAO!!! I just spit my water all over while reading that!

jNehlich

• New to Town
  • Been in this town since 2006...so not* new to town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: AEA SM
« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:52 pm »
Supply Euphoria- the excitement you get from stepping into an office supply shop.

aint it the truth!!
...The small tools section at Home Depot also has the same affect for me.
-JN

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:36 am »
Remount Redux - the sickening feeling of, "Haven't I done this, many times, before?" that begins to occur the third...fourth...fifth time you've done a show

And its cousin, Matinee Redux - the sickening feeling you get during the second performance of a two show day of "haven't I already called this cue??"
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:02 pm »

And Phantom-Q (like Phantom Limbs) the instinctive attempt to call a Q that does not exist in the current version of the production you are doing for the third...fourth...fifth time.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:52 pm »
Post-Show Q Anxiety: the frantic feeling you get when you hear a song out in the real world from a show you've done and start anticipating the cues that go with it.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco