Author Topic: Food, Tech Dinners, etc (Merged Topics)  (Read 42481 times)

nmno

Re: Snacks
« Reply #45 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:59 pm »
If I know I'm going to have to eat during a production meeting, I like to bring sushi.  It's already in bite size pieces; I can discretely pop a piece in my mouth when the conversation has turned to something I won't need to contribute to ("which fabric do you like for Sally's dress?"), it's not messy and it is quiet to eat.

I don't eat during a performance.  Either 1) I'm backstage and there is no food backstage or 2) I'm calling the show and it is so annoying to be on the other end of headset hearing someone smacking away at their food.

I try not to eat during rehearsal, saving it for break time.  Occassionally I'll work on a show that I just never get a break/time to grab a quick snack, so I'll try to discretely snack on some almonds, grapes, soft granola bar (small, fairly quiet).  Again, I try to pick my moments so as not to be distracting or noticable to the actors/director.

lydiaelaine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SELU
  • Current Gig: 3rd Annual Hammond Horror Festival: 24 Hour Play Festival
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #46 on: Sep 18, 2006, 02:21 pm »
I love the sushi idea, I might just try that!
Stage manager: Totally responsible for everything.

nmno

« Reply #47 on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:26 pm »

Also, check out these previous topic that deal with food.

Food: http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php?topic=590.0

Tech dinners: http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php?topic=1324.0

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #48 on: Sep 18, 2006, 04:16 pm »
The best snack food known to man are the Chili Spiced dried mangoes from "Trader Joe's".

If somebody wants to buy a boxful of these and send them to me via FedEx or UPS I will pay handsomely!!
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #49 on: Sep 18, 2006, 04:47 pm »
Are you kidding?! You don't have a Trader Joe's?!!!! How do you live?

If you write me a (reasonably sized) list, I'd be happy to send a Lack-of-Joe's package your way.

PM me.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2006, 09:42 am »
I don't get hungry during rehearsals; I get thirsty... so a bottle of water is on my table or in my hand most of the night.  I work with kids a lot and if they see you eat the food trail backstage would make Hansel and Gretyl blush. 

If I were to eat Popcorn would be on the top of the list something relatively healthy.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2006, 12:32 am »
I tend to keep dried fruit and nuts around me during rehearsal and meetings for my snacking needs.  They are small, quiet, discreet, non-messy and also pack a bit of an energy boost.  If I don't have something to snack on with me I fear falling prey to the junk food in the vending machine.  Something that I do not need to be eating when sitting in blocking rehearsals.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #52 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:55 pm »
I used to keep a box of cereal near me most of the time.  Cheerios or Crispix -- nothing too small, nothing crumbly and nothing sugary.

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #53 on: Sep 29, 2006, 11:24 am »
I often like to bring a bag of baby carrots to rehearsal or tech.

For opening, (if I like my boothies & crew), I tend to buy them chocolates- bag of chocolate covered espresso beans in the booth helps keeps those cues spot on!
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2006, 03:46 pm »
Food is crutch.
"This time for sure."

IvoryWonder

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Oct 01, 2006, 03:41 am »
There are some great ideas here! I don't really eat during rehearsals usually either, like many others here, but being at the university I'm always on the go and half the time I have to go to reh. streight from class, so I don't have time to stop and get dinner. In those cases I sometimes get something on campus (which can get pricey if you go a lot.) or have a gronola bar and water before rehearsals. It helps sustain me till my next meal. I get the cheap kind- a box of 10 for like $2 or something. And I get the chewey kind, so I don't have to crunch them aloud if I'm with people.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #56 on: Oct 01, 2006, 12:11 pm »
I like pretzels.  I like to bring in things for my actors to munch on during rehearsals, and the big vats of pretzels from the discount store are usually it.  Of course, I usually end up eating a bunch myself.

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tech dinners
« Reply #57 on: Oct 06, 2006, 01:33 am »
I am currently working at a theatre located in a resort.  So as a thankyou, the upper management of the resort sets up a lunch for the cast and crew for our 10/12.  Its a nice little swaray, that really boosts moral. 

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
« Reply #58 on: Oct 10, 2006, 03:22 pm »
I suggest a no food policy. Trying to participate in conversation while taking notes for yourself, writing minutes for the production and eating could probably get very messy very soon. Also- it brings up the terror of talking with food in your mouth- eeewww! :P

Obviously we've all had no choice but to eat during meetings, but it's not the best option. If you have no choice -something not loud, not messy, not spillable.  :)

I agree with this one. We had a costume designer for one of the shows I stage managed who always ate during the production meetings. It drove me crazy. It seemed that she took a bit of whatever it was right before she had to talk just to get on everyone's nerves. She didn't even take the time to finish eating or to swallow. She just kept chomping away and talking. gross...
Sean

Lester

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, IATSE
« Reply #59 on: Oct 11, 2006, 08:05 pm »
a nice bowl of chocolate or yogurt covered pretzels are the current choice of my cast, although they're sort of hard to get at.  We've taken to a tub of jubejube like candies because our LXD likes them so much, other than that, we maintain no messy or wet foods whenever possible.  Once in a while though something slips under the radar (one reason I don't really recommend popcorn, one falls on the floor and someone steps on it...=*sigh*)

riotous