Offstage > The Green Room

Fearless at DIY

(1/2) > >>

BlantonRK:
Is it just me? I've noticed that because I built sets and am comfortable in a scene shop that I don't hesitate to do remodeling work at home or at other peoples homes. The basics of building translate to so many other projects. I don't mess with household electricity too much because of insurance, but I've re-wired tons of lamps at home. I also try to steer clear of (major) plumbing things.

Anyone else?  What's the biggest DIY project you've undertaken (successful or otherwise)?

LCSM:
This has little to do with building or renovating, but I'm currently in a huge redecorating phase and have undertaken the repainting of all my furniture. I dosn't sound like much when it's put like that, but none of my friends can understand this little bit of diy. You're right, it is all about comfort around tools and the like; I think a large part of it is knowing that if you mess up, there's (almost) always a way to fix it. Besides, I find it relaxing.

kokobear:
I am also an aquarium hobbyist.  While between theatre gigs, I have worked @ a hardware store, which gave me time to wander the aisles and "figger".  I built a coral reef system in 3 tanks, a main display, a filter sump, and a "refusurgium" upstairs one level.  The refusurgium is a divided tank with relatively slow flowing water on one side, and a device to collect and flush water (about 12 gallons) downstairs into the main display in a tidal surge every 4 minutes.  It was noisy and annoyed the GF, so I came up with a way to control a valve electrically to turn the flush one and off.  I hooked up all of my lighting, and the valve, to a computer-controlled bank of relay switches.  I enclosed the relays and controls in a hood that I built for the upstairs, where I had seahorses.  I also bent conduit and welded a light stand to support my metal halide lights downstairs.

Here is a link to a reefer's forum that I documented the project in: 

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f76/refusurgium-hood-project-59821.html?highlight=refusurgium

It was a very cool process.

maximillionx:
I helped gut and refinish my girlfriend's older borther's new house.  Tore down all the drywall, knocked down some walls, new floors, new bathrooms, etc... Definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without my scene shop experience.

missliz:
I'll be the first to admit that while I CAN do basic building, you wouldn't ever hire me to do it. However, I do a lot of my own painting/building in my apartment. Basic installation. Also helps that I have a full set of tools. However, I'm dating a TD- sometimes it's easier to just ask him to do it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version