Author Topic: Dracula in NYC  (Read 5573 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Dracula in NYC
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:35 pm »
Spiderman is not the only show under the microscope in NYC . . . this production of Dracula has been watched very closely.

This was in the NY Post . . . a production gone wrong in so many ways . . .

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/dracula_crew_raises_stakes_zZjzDpQruhzrNmgmKUfDXJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

The final performances of "Dracula" last weekend played less like a Gothic thriller and more like the backstage farce "Noises Off."

The antics -- which Tony-win ning costume designer Willa Kim calls "the most bizarre experience of my career" -- began Friday, the day The Post reported that the artistic team was owed $100,000 in fees and expenses by the show's producers.

Here are excerpts from stage manager Brian Meister's report:

7:15 p.m.: Willa Kim informed [producer] Michael Alden that those costumes that have not been paid for have been removed from the building.

I informed Joe Tantalo [theater manager] that some of our actors would be performing in street clothes this evening.

I asked Joe how large our house was this evening. He replied "180 . . . 120 of those being comps."

7:20 p.m.: Alexander Morr [producer] called on my cellphone asking to speak to Willa.

7:30 p.m.: I called the ½ hour explaining to the cast that Michel Altieri [Dracula] and Emily Bridges [Lucy] would be performing in street clothes. (The cast took this news more or less in stride.)

7:40 p.m.: Alex agreed to present Willa a check in the amount of $8,630.83 by tomorrow at 3 p.m.

8:08 p.m.: The red velvet curtain at The Little Shubert rose majestically on our handsomely costumed production of "Dracula."

NEXT???

"Next" turned out to be an e-mail sent to the cast Saturday morning by fight director Rick Sordelet, who's owed $4,000.

"Because the producers refuse payment, I have no choice but to ask that my Intellectual Property not be used in the final performances," he wrote.

He asked the actors not to perform the exorcism and Dracula not to break the mirror.

"There will be no cape disappearance; Dracula will simply walk out the door," he added. "And there will be no fight or staking at the end of the play."

As the actors were trying to figure out how to kill Dracula without a stake, the designers gathered backstage before the matinee.

Kim threatened to remove Dracula's cape from the theater if her check didn't arrive, while set designer Dana Kenn threatened to remove his coffin.

Paul Alexander, the director, was screaming at the designers, threatening to call the police and have them arrested.

The Shuberts got wind of the situation and dispatched five security guards to the theater.

"They were there to protect us from Paul Alexander," says Kenn. "The Shuberts took the position that we had every right to be in the theater."

The police arrived and took stock, deciding that backstage hissy fits aren't punishable offenses.

Meanwhile, Morr raced in from Connecticut with Kim's check. He arrived at intermission, and was immediately set upon by the designers, who demanded they be paid as well.

As this confrontation -- caught on video by Sordelet -- played out, Alexander retreated to the bathroom, saying he was "not feeling well."

In the end, the designers decided against disrupting the production out of respect for the actors.

"We felt they should be allowed to do the final performances with dignity," Sordelet says.

"Dracula" played its last, uneventful performance Sunday. But the producers haven't given up on it yet, if only because they retain the rights to the play for at least a year if their production can run a few more paid performances.

They're trying to reopen on Thursday with money raised from sources in Italy.

(Apparently the critic from Corriere della Sera never got around to reviewing the show.)

But if "Dracula" does come back to life, the designers will pursue its producers with all the determination of Abraham Van Helsing.

"If they open again and don't pay us, we will take everything out of the theater that we can get our hands on," says Kenn.

"And you can quote me on that."

michael.riedel@nypost.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jNehlich

• New to Town
  • Been in this town since 2006...so not* new to town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: AEA SM
Re: Dracula in NYC
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:40 pm »
..doomed from the beginning.
-JN

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:45 pm »
It's sad they can't quite figure out what to do with the Little Shubert Theater . . .

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:52 pm »
Didn't we finally learn our lesson after Lestat...  Dracula stories just don't work onstage.

This article tho makes me re-read that Thora Birch situation with new eyes... (don't get me wrong, Dad still sounds crazy and controlling, but...)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:52 pm »
Well, the Dracula with the Ed Gorey designs in the late 70's ran for over 2 years - so it did really well on Broadway.

I did sort of a fantastic stripped down production / bloodless as well - as a Victorian thriller that worked quite well - that went from silly/campy to down right scary - it a very creepy way (the director was quite smart it getting the laughs out of the way.)

I think

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:06 pm »
It sounds to me like someone rushed into a Dracula revival because of the vampire trend and thought that was enough to sell the show.

I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:26 am »
Didn't we finally learn our lesson after Lestat...  Dracula stories just don't work onstage.

No. We didn't learn with "Dance of the Vampires" either.   ;)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:09 pm »
7:15 p.m.: Willa Kim informed [producer] Michael Alden that those costumes that have not been paid for have been removed from the building.

I informed Joe Tantalo [theater manager] that some of our actors would be performing in street clothes this evening.
I'd always assumed this was hyperbole. ("If you don't pay your designers, they'll take their stuff and walk!") It actually happens? Jeez!

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:15 pm »
Am I the only one that would have watched fascinated with the actors in street clothes, the fight choreography absent and no set pieces that were light enough to cart away? Talk about creative problem solving.

nmno

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:19 pm »

No. We didn't learn with "Dance of the Vampires" either.   ;)

THAT was the other horrible vampire show I was trying to think of...  Thank you!  I knew there were a few in a row that tanked.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:45 pm »
And don't forget Wildhorn's musical-bomb version of the Stoker tale, either.

It sounds to me like someone rushed into a Dracula revival because of the vampire trend and thought that was enough to sell the show.

Oddly enough, though, this production wasn't rushed.  It was originally set to open at this time last year and was delayed.  Some may remember that this was the production which, back in November of '09, did an open search for their SM team and failed to use the BCC field in their rejection email.  I was on tour with Theatreworks at the time and got the email on my iPhone, and thus didn't notice at first.  Then I started seeing posts on Facebook from several of my SM friends alluding to something odd about the email.  I went to my phone and selected the expanded view option and suddenly had the email addresses of about 75 or so other stage managers (including some very high profile/recognizable names) that had also been deemed to have made it to the so-called "short list" of candidates.