Author Topic: can stage managers take a joke?  (Read 4850 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
can stage managers take a joke?
« on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:03 pm »
My current show has had, well, some difficulties. Putting in understudies last minute, a bout of food poisoning mid-show, replacing an actor, some diva fits, etc.

It's April Fools, and while I have a good sense of humor, it is NOT the day to tell me you're going to be sick, won't go on, won't let so-and-so do your costume change, etc. Because there's the chance you aren't kidding.

One of my actors jokingly asked if stage managers can take jokes, since they always seem on edge about things that could go wrong.

I think because we're so used to stepping in when things go haywire, it's hard to NOT assume the worst. Or maybe it's just me.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: can stage managers take a joke?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:43 pm »
Most stage managers I know have great senses of humor.   I think we can take a joke, as long as it’s funny.  I'd agree that sometimes we assume the worst, but that's because we have to be prepared to deal with it.  Someone calling in sick, declaring a prop/costume/wardrobe malfunction, that sort of thing, is not funny if the SM has to go through the trouble of solving the problem before finding out it isn’t really an issue.  Professionals should know the difference between making a joke and being a jerk. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

dewitt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Hope college dance dept, Heritage Theatre Group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:43 pm »
I have to agree with Rebbe. I love to have fun and I would rather laugh than cry. Don't mess with my show though, I think theatre pranks need to be left behind in high school where forgiving people think they are funny. I love it when the rehearsal process is fun and we all bond with humor and silliness, but once we get to tech and performance I am all business.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2010, 11:29 pm »
Ok, funny thing from today-

a couple of the actresses got together and, post-show, sent ME a performance report with all sorts of crazy things. Highlights include "Audience Response: Rowdy, possibly intoxicated" and "Props: Accidentally put regular coke in as coffee instead of diet, caffine free. [Actress] subsequently went on a caffeine/sugar induced rage through Act I."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2010, 02:48 pm »
I got totally April Fooled by a cast member who showed up to final dress with crutches and a boot on her foot. She's also young enough that it was plausable that she'd hurt herself and think that she didn't need to tell me until she got to rehearsal. I got as far as calling the understudy and the choreographer before she "April Fooled" me. I was so relieved that I was not as mad as I might otherwise have been.  It was funny really.  And I was able to reach both the choreo and understudy before they'd left their houses.

I think actors just need to know their SMs and choose their jokes accordingly. I know some folks who would be seriously angry over this prank. I was mildly annoyed by looking the fool, but no harm done.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:42 pm »
So proving that Stage Managers can take a joke . . .

Today, I came in to find my calling script encased in jello

http://stagemanager.net/stagemanager.net/Prank_Photos.html

(before anyone flips, I do all my calling scripts on the computer, so all I would have to do is print a new one, we do already have a back up one printed, and in the end, it was NOT the calling script for THIS show . . .)

Still - hysterical.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:32 pm »
Priceless...

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:29 pm »
Jell-o.  I am astonished.  I've been known to come up with some clever pranks, but encasing something in Jell-o has never been in my repitoire....until now, that is!

I'd love to know what twisted conversation led to that brainstorm.  You're a better sport than I would be!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:31 pm »
My light board operator's mother came up with it . . . last time it was my stapler and other things from my desk.

They wanted to do my laptop . . . but thought better of it. 

I have some very fiendish co-workers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.