Author Topic: Broadway SM Symposium  (Read 5246 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Broadway SM Symposium
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:31 pm »
http://www.broadwaysymposium.com/

This is a workshop being run by a good friend of mine, Matt Stern - for those in the NYC Area, this promises to be a huge opportunity if you have an interest in working on large Commercial Projects, especially Broadway.

----

The Broadway Stage Management Symposium is a two day forum featuring a series of panels, lectures and seminars by some of Broadway's most experienced stage managers. 

These professionals will discuss stage managment skills, challenges, experiences, the craft and art of stage managment and how to make a career working on Broadway Plays and Musicals. 

Topics may include (but are not limited to):
       *calling large musicals                      *working with Broadway's unions    *paperwork
       *note taking and organization          *automation                                         *running rehearsals and tech
       *technology for stage managers      *databases                                          *safety
       *career advice                                     *managing creative artist                  *leadership and more…

Q&A sessions allow participants to ask their specific questions and engage with our esteemed line up of veteran stage managers.  In addition, coffee is provided each morning for mingling and networking before and after sessions and all participants and speakers are invited to a wrap up event following the Symposium.

The Symposium also offers a package that includes a ticket to a current Broadway show with a Q&A following the performance.  Attendees will have the opportunity to see how the specific stage management approach affects the production.

The Broadway Stage Manaagement Symposium is an incredible opportunity for young stage managers or anyone interested in how Broadway works.

There are a variety of registration options to strive to keep the Symposium affordable for students. 
See the registration page for more info. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: Broadway SM Symposium
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:41 am »
How embarrassing that they spelled David Lober's name wrong on their "Our Speakers" page...
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:47 am »
I have had the chance to observe a few of these folks calling/running shows - that's quite a line-up!

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:34 pm »
It looks like an amazing opportunity; I just wish it was more afforable.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:07 pm »
If you make a salary as a stage manager during the year, attending this seminar would be a tax deductible expense.

(I am not a tax professional giving tax advice. I speak only from my own experience.)

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:11 am »
I tried the "This is a conference, don't we have conferences in the budget" line and it didn't work.
Now I'm going to try the "Honey this can be our vacation" line.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:35 pm »

Ouch. Unfortunately, I agree. More shadowing letters for me...

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2015, 05:01 pm »
Regarding the cost - I've never been but I think this is pretty reasonable price point. 

As an educator very aware of college price tags, I feel compelled to note that this is significantly less than the cost of a single credit, which may cover a 12 week semester, perhaps 12 classroom hours. 

Considering how few opportunities there are for SM to attend conferences aimed at us, the next step of our educations or careers this is a pretty stellar opportunity.  Consider also the cost of continuing education for other industries and this looks like a very low cost, an acknowledgement of the financial restrictions many of us face.

Off my soap box now, except to say that as an adjunct professor with no Broadway background, but in charge of educating students interested in Broadway, this is something I have highly recommended they attend.   I may in fact attend myself to see how I can better address these things within my classes.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:07 pm »
Lifted from facebook . . . just a reminder . . .

There are still a few more days left to get the early bird discount for the Broadway Stage Management Symposium.
This is going to be an inspiring and very instructive weekend of insights from Broadway's top professionals, including: Peter Lawrence (Tony Honoree and author), Lisa Dawn Cave (Rocky, Fun Home), Frank Lombari (Tarzan), Arturo Porazzi (Memphis) and many, many more.
Don't miss out on making these important connections.
Register today.
www.broadwaysymposium.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous