Author Topic: ARTICLE: Theatre bans Jim Davidson for "slagging it off"  (Read 2039 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Something tells me if the theater goes so far as to ban you, you did do something wrong.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/what-to-see/theatre-bans-jim-davidson-from-performing-/

Which leads to an interesting question...has anyone shown their dissatisfaction to a performer in the way as this light board op did?

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: ARTICLE: Theatre bans Jim Davidson for "slagging it off"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2015, 10:48 am »
No: never had that experience (thankfully!) though I did once have an older stage hand who refused to take direction from me (the younger PSM). The director and I had a conversation about it and she spoke to him, which resolved the issue. On the whole my experience with talent has been largely respectful, and I've been fortunate to work for places where arts management is clearly behind you.

I would dearly love the reporter to have found someone backstage to speak to about this incident, since I am sure there is way more to the story than is being said. But it brings up the issue I've seen in many places: who's going to speak out against wrong behavior when it could be your career you're sacrificing?
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

riotous