Author Topic: ARTICLE: Rights, Royalties and Script Changes  (Read 1870 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
ARTICLE: Rights, Royalties and Script Changes
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:15 am »
http://www.stage-directions.com/current-issue/28-feature/3967-script-change-.html

Great article about how one should go about actually making changes to a protected piece of work.

I especially keyed on the Utah Dinner theater that ended up closing it's doors after sinking 20k into a show, and had to close it down because they were caught making changes. Copywright laws aren't something to toy with!!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: ARTICLE: Rights, Royalties and Script Changes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 01:04 pm »
The question is as SM, who does our loyalty lie to . . .

Do you report the text changes or changes at all in the report, and let General Management and producers raise the red flag?

I feel like it's not my responsibility to make sure the contract is being upheld, especially since I didn't sign the contract, but I do feel like it is my responsibility to report changes being done in the hall.

Also like I don't feel it is my job to make sure music being used in the production has been cleared, etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: ARTICLE: Rights, Royalties and Script Changes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:26 pm »
I definitely agree that I don't feel responsible for music. I do bring up to producers who don't seem to understand how big of a problem it could be if they don't get approval, but as for the actual obtaining of rights.....I wash my hands of it beyond the initial conversation.

It's hard for me to say how I'd personally react simply because....man.....I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I worked on a show that wasn't in the public domain or an original work with the playwright in the room/in direct contact with the director about script changes....Like really.....I don't think I've worked on a show from Sam French or Dramatists since 2008. And on that show I wasn't even there for rehearsals. I came in just before tech week.