Author Topic: ARTICLE: Career or children?  (Read 3054 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: Career or children?
« on: Aug 11, 2015, 01:06 pm »
I know there's a couple of parents who are also SMs, what's your take? As a parent did you feel the pressure to choose or limit your choices? Have you worked somewhere that is childcare-friendly? Anti?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/career-or-children-why-theatre-parents-feel-forced-to-choose-356866

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
Re: ARTICLE: Career or children?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2015, 03:07 pm »
While I have been lucky in my residency, and only working evenings and weekends when I have shows, I can't return to "regular" SM work now that I have a child. At least not anytime soon. I will say, my residency has been very accommodating of my son, probably based on the fact that I've been there for over 12 years, and I was able to bring him to work with me a few days a week the first 9 months of his life. However, in an AEA situation, children aren't permitted to be around (unless they are performers), and it would be difficult enough taking care of my son's needs in addition to my workload during a rehearsal day.

Stage Managing is my full time job; my husband works for the government. If we were forced to stop daycare, I would be the one who would have to quit my job, as my husband brings in better pay. During the summers I move for an on-site job for the entire month of July. My husband becomes a single dad, going to work and taking care of my son on evenings and weekends. Sometimes they visit me, if they want to make the 4-hour round trip drive. This month-long-job is my family's limit for me working somewhat "regular" SM hours.

If my resident position ends, then I can't return to regular SM work, as that kind of schedule won't work for my family year-round. I would then have to try to find similar residency job, or go into another line of work altogether, that fits the 9am-5pm Monday-Friday work schedule. I seriously dread the day that happens.

When we decided to have a child, I thought my career would be over, but thankfully I've been able to keep it going for 3 years so far. However, when push comes to shove, I have to choose family over the job I love. I love my family more.

LexieTaylor

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alum, UW-Whitewater
  • Current Gig: Former SM/Occasional Freelancer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:20 am »
Interesting article - thanks for sharing.
And thanks, BayAreaSM for sharing your story. It's a very valid point in our profession; we work crazy hours and don't necessarily make a great amount of money for it. How do we go about finding childcare if we have a spouse in a similar work environment?
On top of that, the article sparks the conversation of our country's view on maternity/paternity leave. I know our business manager just walked in while I was discussing with a co-worker and looking through our employee handbook - we have nothing here. It would just have to fall under unpaid family medical leave.
There are definitely challenges that go along with wanting to have both a family and a career.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2015, 09:35 pm »
Long before I was AEA, my wife and I job shared a position during the pregnancy and first few months . . . they got the benefit of two people employed, and we each got time to spend with the little one - but were lucky we could get by on the one salary.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.