Author Topic: Are there any AEA SM moms?  (Read 7326 times)

kateaclysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Are there any AEA SM moms?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:12 am »
I know an AEA resident PSM at a major Regional Theater who who two children under 5.  She's has a big support structure though, with her husband, a nanny, and her parents living in town.  But it seems to work for her!  And Someone was recently telling me about a Broadway PSM who brings her newborn everywhere.  Good luck!

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2013, 03:06 am »
Since I started this and just re-read the entire thread, I thought I would give an update. We decided to have a baby.

My son is just a few days shy of 14 months. It's been tricky, but we planned the pregnancy around my season - and it actually worked. I closed a show and about 2 weeks later he was born. The pregnancy didn't really affect my work at all, though I did get to do fewer things because no one wanted me lifting/moving items.

I was off for about 2 months then I returned to the office. Thankfully it was my 10th season with my regular company (and they really wanted to keep me), so I was able to bring my son with me 2 days a week, a nanny watched him for 2 days and my husband took Fridays. Our parents flew out during my performances, as there was no way I could bring my son to the theater. I don't feel like I've missed out on much, since he was with me most of the week and all of the weekends, when I didn't have shows. And with us living across the country from our parents, it was nice to have him see his grandparents every other month.

So far this summer, I've been off and spending tons of time with him. However, I did take a short gig out of town for 4 days. That was hard on me. Even with 12 hour days of Nutcracker, I would see my son and spend a few hours with him in the mornings. Being completely removed was hard. And now I'm getting ready to go into a 2 week contract for a staged reading, which will have me out of the house when my son is awake. This will be a test for me to see if I can even personally handle going back to freelance SM work, or if I should just stay at my regular PSM job that gets me home in time for dinner.

Also, while I never wanted to go down this road, we will be enrolling our son at KinderCare later this month, before I return to my PSM job. I've been around him for so many of his "firsts" I just worry that I am going to miss major milestones by going back to work.

nrs2014

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: ANNIE
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2013, 06:12 pm »
Glad to hear that you decided to have a child. :) Congratulations and good luck with the rest of your journey!

riotous