Author Topic: 10 things actors can do to get off to a good start with a stage manager  (Read 18492 times)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
#10. Introduce yourself to the Stage Manager.

#10. Don’t be annoying at auditions. First impressions go a long way.

#10. If the cast is going out after a rehearsal, invite the SM/crew.

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
10- If you're having a problem with something please let me know.  Although I try to anticipate problems, I can't think of everything.  I would much rather solve your problem on day two or three, then let it fester for a week or month until it is unbearable to you.  I can't fix what I don't know is broken. 

Dee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Pre-Production Spring Awakening with Nearly Naked Theatre Phoenix AZ
  • Experience: College/Graduate
#10. Don’t be annoying at auditions. First impressions go a long way.

To True!! I try not to let it blur my vision but I can't help hold it against then sometimes even with out realizing it. 

I also really like the "don't lie!"  We all have facebook now.  I will see that you were at a party the night you said you were sick.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
10. Say 'Good morning' when you arrive at the hall, and 'Good night' as you leave. Even if everything in between is tense, tiring or frustrating, it's vital to take a few seconds to show you appreciate the PERSON - not just the function they perform.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Please let the SM know if you have to step out of the rehearsal hall/room---we need to keep track of where you are so we can get you in time for your entrance or notes.

jaslada

• New to Town
    • View Profile
10.  Please and thank you are the magic words. 

And the occasional Pumpkin Spice Latte doesn't hurt either...

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
10) Like everyone, I am human. I make mistakes, like everyone else. I may set props wrong from time to time. I may execute cues early or late or not a all. Just like you will forget lines and blocking, etc. Mistakes happen, so lets move on and deal with them, fix them, learn from them and do the best that we can!

pmooney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: West Michigan Youth Ballet's The Nutcracker
If you see me moving down the hallway at a good clip with a determined or urgent look in my eyes.....GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY PLEASE!!!!

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
10) Like everyone, I am human. I make mistakes, like everyone else. I may set props wrong from time to time. I may execute cues early or late or not a all. Just like you will forget lines and blocking, etc. Mistakes happen, so lets move on and deal with them, fix them, learn from them and do the best that we can!

So, so true.  A while ago, I got cornered by an actor (who had had too much to drink anyway) who was ranting and raving furiously about the operator who had mis-hit the GO button and so the lights were a little late up for the curtain call.  This guy was from out of town, and was saying that he had done over 50 shows in his home town and never known an operator to stuff up before, the operator should be fired, this operator was useless, we do things wrong here (telling me how to do MY job!), yadda yadda yadda.  This was despite the fact that the operator had apologized to them all personally and offered to buy them a drink at the bar - said actor was complaining that this was "not enough of an apology".  I have never had to try so hard to hold my tongue, because while it wasn't my show, I had been talking to the SM who was commenting that a week into the run, the cast were still not secure on their lines and cue lines were often being messed up.  I refrained from asking him if he was word-perfect and giving him as much of a rant as he was giving me, because I knew it would be pointless, but I was very, very tempted.  SMs and techs are ONLY HUMAN!

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
I had a similar situation last week, only less intense but just as annoying.
We had no sound board op so it was up to me to cue up the tracks, and one older actor kept telling me the day after I got the CDs for the first time that I was messing them up. I didn't respond, except to say we were still playing around with the timing and levels.
Then at fight call the same actor told me I wasn't running fight call correctly! After we ran through the last fight he asked me, quite condescendingly and in front of the group, "Is there anything else I need to know that you forgot?"
I said deadpan, "Yeah, you're dropping lines."

Somehow they expect perfection from us the second the production requires something, but some of them need three months to get off-book.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
10. Don't shoot the messenger.

clurston

• New to Town
    • View Profile
#10a If I'm looking for someone and you actually know where they are, tell me.
#10b If I'm looking for someone and you have no idea where they are, don't guess.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
10. A Stage Manager will bend over backwards to accommodate most requests. If we can't get it done, it probably can't be done and for a good reason. If we say we're working on it, it literally means we are going through all the appropriate channels to get it done and we're not jerking you around.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
10. Understand that "no" means "no". When we tell you not to do something, when we ask you not to do something, when we implore you not to do something, you shouldn't do that thing. We aren't humourless and we aren't saying "no" just to spite you, we're just looking out for your safety, your happiness, and the theatre's bank account.

10. Respect our stuff. Yes, I have a toolbox that contains all kinds of goodies. (Cough drops! Pencils! Power tools! Teabags! Ice packs! Breath mints! Tape! Oh, such goodies!) And, yes, if you ask me for any of these goodies, I'll probably let you have them. This does not mean you can take it upon yourself to rifle around in my kit, nor does it apply to my stuff more generally.

10. Don't flake out. We will go to the ends of the earth and back again in order to support and accommodate you and make you feel happy and comfortable about the production, but please remember that we have an entire show to worry about, and any time we spend on you is time that isn't being spent on something else. Ask for support, by all means--but if we beaver away on a modification or a reconfiguration or an exception or a change, and you then decide you didn't really need it in the first place, we won't like you very much.

dancer-sm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Kemp Drama
  • Current Gig: Grease: The musical
  • Experience: High School
10) Do what they ask of you. It is rare I ask my actors to do anything but when I do its because I need help. So if they do ask you to do something jump on it as soon as possible.

riotous