Author Topic: 10 things actors can do to get off to a good start with a stage manager  (Read 18550 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
A friend wrote this on her blog (http://www.loisbackstage.com/?p=517), but I thought it was worth sharing here:
___
1. If you’ve never worked with the Stage Manager before? Don’t assume you know how they work

2. Remember that Stage Managers work in your interest. They don’t work for you

3. They don’t get you coffee, you should think about getting them coffee

4. Bring your own pen, pencil, & eraser. The Stage Manager’s are back up – not your first line of defense.

5. Be early. Early is on time. On time is late.

6. Take your own blocking notes. When you do it it’s for character and intention, the Stage Manager is taking them for visual picture and cuing – you can help each other, but one is not a replacement for the other.

7. Express gratitude. (When warranted.)

8.  When the cast goes out for lunch, invite the Stage Manager along. They probably will not be able to join you, but the invitation is nice.

9. The Stage Manager is three steps ahead of you.  At least.  Try to keep up.  (h/t  @lekogirl)

10.  Suggest the 10th item in the comments below.
___
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
10) Remember that when the SM says "Could you please do xyz now please" they don't really mean "could you please", but rather "go and do this now. Thanks"... Could you please is just our way of being polite.

Number 5 is my pet issue - Especially as I am currently doing crew scheduling. A call time of 10:25 means that you are to be onsite and in position ready to start at 10:25... It does not mean walk through the door at 10:25 in your casual clothes, get change, make a cup of coffee, have a quick chat and think about getting ready some time soon.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
10)  Clean up after yourself.  A stage manager has a million things to do more important than picking up your half empty water bottles, but if you don't pick up after yourself, they have to do that, too.  Want super-extra brownie points?  Pick up after other sloppy cast members, or remind them to do so.

I will always love and adore a particular actor I worked with two years ago.  We were in four different rehearsal spaces, sometimes all in the same day, and after a week of taking five minutes, every time we moved, to clean up water bottles and candy wrappers, I issued a lecture about respecting rental spaces, cleaning up after yourself, the fact that I would also like a break when we moved shop, but I can't take one if I'm cleaning up their trash.  Out of a cast of five, ONE picked up his garbage, and everyone else's from that point forth, AND asked if I needed help with anything.  I'd work with him again, on any project, in a flat minute.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
10) Do not tell me how to do my job. I'm a stage manager because I know theatre better than most, so the day that you want to tell me how to do my job properly, is the day you better be SMing a broadway production. PERIOD.
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
10) Do not tell me how to do my job. I'm a stage manager because I know theatre better than most, so the day that you want to tell me how to do my job properly, is the day you better be SMing a broadway production. PERIOD.

That seems a little harsh.

I am always looking for ways to do my job better, and don't mind input from other people.

Once I stop learning and adapting, I will think about retiring for this job.

And quite frankly, just because you are SM'ing on Broadway, doesn't mean your good.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 10:05 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Remember--when a stage manager asks you to do something, it is usually because a) you were supposed to do it anyway and forgot, b) he/she doesn't want you to look like an idiot, or c) something is about to impale you. Bottom line: your life and ours will run more smoothly if you do  ;)

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
10. The stage manager really does know what they are talking about.  If they ask you to do something, it'll be for a good reason, so please just do it - it's not a starting point for negotiation!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site

That seems a little harsh.

I am always looking for ways to do my job better, and don't mind input from other people.

Once I stop learning and adapting, I will think about retiring for this job.

And quite frankly, just because you are SM'ing on Broadway, means your good.

It's worded harshly, but it was a maddening experience when an actor followed behind me preshow, questioning everything I did. "I don't think that's the right way to do that...my LAST stage manager...."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
10.  Please and thank you are the magic words. 

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
LOL Woww...that's the exactly experience I had...it was maddening...That's why I said it :) Not to be harsh. I"m actually quite nice once you get to know me haahahaha
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
in addition to the other great things mentioned...

10) On the first day of rehearsal, take a moment to introduce yourself to the SM if you don't know them already.  Remember that the actor only has a couple names to learn (of the SM team), and the SM's may have as many as 100.  Also, please don't be angry if we can't remember your name and need to be reminded.  It should only take a day or two.  (Bribing us with chocolate or coffee will usually speed up the process ;))
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
10) Don't lie. Stage managers are detail oriented, and they usually know when you're lying (perhaps better than you know). I remember that your grandma "died" during the last show, so don't try using that excuse for missing rehearsal on this show. I can check traffic conditions on my phone, so I know that's not why you're running late. I'm here to make things work. Tell me the truth and we'll try to work out the problem.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
10. Help out.

Just lending a hand makes you seem so much more hard-working in my eye.  Even if it's helping sweep, volunteering to clean, or just asking (even though I don't have anything for you).  It shows me that you're aware and open to the whole show.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
10.  Tell me if you would like something preset a certain way.   Unless it is absolutely impossible, I will make it happen, but I cannot read your mind.  Until I hear otherwise, I set things up in what seems to be the most logical way to me, but I am not the one dealing with the props in the course of the show.  Speak up, and things will be as they work best for you each and every time.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
10. Remember Stage Managers are people too. We have feelings, bad days, and limits. While we may never let our personal life interfere with our work, understand that outside of rehearsal and performances that we have lives and other people we care about.

While I do hold a dear spot in my heart for my casts and creative teams, there's only so many hours in a day to take care of everyone ;)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick