Author Topic: ARTICLE: "The Busy Trap"  (Read 2243 times)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: "The Busy Trap"
« on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:00 pm »
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

A really great article, got me thinking. I am currently working 3 jobs (ASM, Tech Director for a High School, and my day job in Sales) and I find myself kind of lost when I don't have work (on the very rare occassion!). I have literally scheduled myself to the brink, and kept taking on work as long as there were enough hours in the day. I don't stress out about work anymore, but I tend to feel the need to make lists so I feel productive in my time off- what a weird kind of paradox I'm living.

I look back at my summer in France- the author talks about a friend who moved there and discovered a new lifestyle- and I have always thought of it as a 'turning point' for me. They really do value their lives and time outside of work or school, and I learned to take a chill pill and stop stressing about work. I think I am much more relaxed now in work situations and it is one of the big reasons I feel I do well in Stage Management- but have I just switched things around and now stress about my downtime?

I have the next two days off, and I'm going to try and not make a list or stick to things I must do (although a trip to visit family is planned). The biggest challenge I think will to tell myself that it is completly okay to waste a couple of hours on trashy tv, or a video game. It's not a waste of time- it is my life and downtime is okay. We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 07:45 am by dallas10086 »

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Re: "The Busy Trap"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:29 am »
That article just reminded me why I am so conflicted about continuing to do this work. Brought up some great points though...
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:46 am »
Great article! I was a latchkey kid and also remember many long summers with my friends---summers that seemed to last forever and were unstructured.  This season ('13/'14) begins a change for me and my husband: letting go of one of our jobs.  It's a theatre job and has just become too much. He and I have not had days off on a regular basis. When I was younger and had unlimited energy, I could work all these jobs.  This will be the first summer in many years that we'll have lots of unstructured time off--just like when I was a kid!!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:54 am »
Work to live, don't live to work.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt